Author Topic: c/n 1233, N6463V  (Read 6801 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 1233, N6463V
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:43 AM »
We've finally reached the Helio I know the most about since I reassembled it from a bunch of parts and owned it for 7 years before passing it on to a new owner.

20 pictures check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

C/n 1233 was the last Helio built before the U-10D contract began. It was an off the shelf purchase by the British Guinea Defense Force as VP-GCJ but before being delivered it became 8R-GCJ with the Guyana Defense Force (assigned to Territorial Police).

Previous posts about N6463V or anything click on  http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search  Enter ?

c/n 1233, built 12/66 as model H-295 Factory install litter door. An off the shelf purchase by British Guiana Defence Force. The Export Certificate of Airworthiness date is 04/67, as VP-GCJ British Guiana Defense Force transferred on arrival 04/66, and re-reg as 8R-GCJ Guyana defense force (Territorial Police) repainted 8/72 to remove Police, Helio Factory logo, and apply Guyana Defense Force roundel, it was then transferred back to the Guyana defense force, 8R-GCJ was withdrawn from use '79, dereg placed in storage at Port Kaituma Airpark, sold by Guyana Police Commissioner '82, imported to USA as c/n 1233 by Anthony Tirri (B&B Vinyards) NJ sold '82, (The Company) Partners: J. W. Fowler, A. E. Corsini & Dean Tremain KS shipping damage repaired by Dean Tremaine & Ken Noe, removed porthole windows install 1400 series trapezoidal rear windows dorsal fin Pittsburg KS sold '84, rereg N146LM (for John 14:6) Larry Montgomery SC [(Larmont Aviation) kept at Williamsport Airpark SC with intent to be a personal Helio but incomplete when sold] (logs lost) sold '94, rereg N295DJ Doug Johnson AK reassemble and refurbished with 1400 series individual seats new interior floor to headliner, IFR instrument panel with padded glare shield with green panel illumination lts, install red strobe in aerodynamically faired lens on top of rudder fin installed cockpit adjustable electric aileron trim tab (sometimes called the poor mans auto pilot), install 24v Jasco Alternator (same as c/n 1232) sold '01, rereg N6463V (registry previously used c/n 1423) Jay Harrison WA (2nd Helio of 2) new paint scheme & placed on PK 3500 floats sold '10, Lew Beck Big Lake AK and Utah installed new instrument panel placed back on wheels donated 8/16, to Kevin Dunn's organization S.O.A.R. in Bolivar, MO. They will use it primarily to train Helio pilots
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdMOZRL7bIs&NR=1

Post about mods, trim tab and red strobe on tail http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=128.msg512#msg512

My Brother Dale Johnson loaned me half of the money to buy the c/n 1233 project and was also on the registry. When I picked the registry number I told him I picked 295 because that was the model and DJ because that was his initials disappointingly it only took him a moment to realize those were my initials also, of course I told him I hadn't thought of that, but he didn't but it.

There is some speculation that after the Guyana Defense Force (Police) removed c/n 1233 from service, it was surplused to The "Jim Jones Koolaid Cult" because c/n 1233 and c/n 1282 were stored at Port Kaituma Airstrip which is sometimes referred to as the Jim Jones Airpark.
There were also some deaths associated with the cult at the Airport. I was unable to verify anything but the fact is the two Helios were stored at the Airport.
If they had been given to the cult when the possessions of the Cult were disposed of after the mass suicide pact, c/n 1233 and c/n 1282 would have reverted back to The Guyana Police Commissioner who did sell them to Anthony Tiri.

Below Williamsport Airpark SC where c/n 1233 was reassembled before being ferried to AK

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:25:33 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »
Doug

Jason Stephens

Re: c/n 1233, N6463V
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »
Looks like #1233 is up for sale on Barnstormers.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »
Barnstormers add

Helio H-295

HELIO H-295 • $139,900 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • H-295, N6463V, C/N 1233. Currently hangared in Willow, AK and on PK 3500 floats. AFTT 2,862.4, GO-480-G1D6 779.0 SFOH, 762.4 SPOH. Gear/Wheels included with sale. Recent panel upgrades including JPI EDM 930. Has LH utility Door, Fuel Steps and Handles. Recent carry through inspection. Ready for the summer season. Please call for complete details Gordon Cragg 713-502-7274 • Contact Gordon E. Cragg - SKYWAY AIR, LLC, Broker - located Georgetown, TX USA • Telephone: 713-502-7274 . • Posted March 29, 2016
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
Just received this;

c/n 1233 was donated to Kevin Dunn's organization S.O.A.R. In Bolivar, MO. They will use it to train missionary pilots.
It is going to a good home.

MY opinion with the depressed airplane market Lew made the best deal he could, in his income bracket he probably will do almost as good, maybe a little better than a sale.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:44:37 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »

Kevin Dunn seems to be a pretty nice guy, but I'm still not that crazy about big tax write offs. Maybe because I'm not able to benefit from them, you think?

Here are a couple pictures taken at Oshkosh '17, The Burgundy paint looks like it has faded some, I wonder what the interior looks like, I notice that the red strobe I put on top of the tail was removed, I heard the fared in lens was cracked but the mold to make a new one is still available, Gordon Cragg was thinking about installing the same thing but never did he felt field approvals were just to difficult to deal with. I also see the cockpit adjustable trim tab was removed and the radio antennas were relocated back on the tail cone.

Seems a shame to me as far as the red strobe on the tail, I had it wired directly to the battery master and as soon as the master was turned on it began to flash I thought it was a nice safety feature much like most other heavy equipment and commercial jets. It indicates something is about to move or in this case the prop is going to spin, and if you left the battery master on you might notice it flashing as you started to walk away. It also replaced the red wart sitting on the rear of the tail cone. The aircraft was already legal for collision avoidance with the three strobes one on each wing tip and the strobe on the rear.

Removing the cockpit adjustable aileron trim also seems to me to be wrong, unless you are going to install an autopilot wing leveler. With the cockpit adjustable trim tab you can trim to a heading when flying with a cross wind, it helps make the flying less demanding. The cockpit adjustable trim tab is sometimes called the poor man's autopilot.

Relocating the antennas whatever, they were relocated to the best spot possible much better than side by side on top of the cockpit, I thought the Helio looked better without antennas sticking up there was a little less drag by installing helicopter bent whip antennas in the wing tips and for me it made cleaning snow off the aircraft easier. I had a Terra 3200 transceiver radio I believe it was 13 watts transmit and a King KY 96 or 196 transceiver radio which was 10 or 16 watts transmit, I don't remember which. So the small amount of reflected RF transmission loss wasn't that big of a thing. Most aircraft flying around only have about 5 watt transceivers. These radios are 24 volt so one more reason to have a 24 volt system.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:48:09 PM by Doug Johnson 1 »

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 1233, as 8R-GCJ
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 02:14:17 PM »
I found a photo of c/n 1233 as 8R-GCJ kind of an interesting photo that while looking at the date of the photo and doing some more searches on 1233 I found some information that caused me to edit my History file.

Since the Helio was sold without an N registry some information is kind of sketchy because there is no FAA file until it returned to the USA. The a/c data plate say it was built 12/66. The Export Certificate of Airworthiness No. E-71811 is dated 04/67. I think it was through the state Dept which showed it was sold as VP-GCJ also the date of export and the date of arrival are within a few days of each other which I think is unlikely and when doing a search for the VP-  prefix it showed up as Gibraltar which led to the Gibraltar Coastal watch (but no record of a Helio) later I found VP- was used for British colonies like British Guiana and Gibraltar still being a British colony. The date of purchase also shows up as just a couple months from the time Now Guyana is given its independence. I corrected this error several years ago but I see someone is till using that information. There is also no information on whether it was shipped or ferried I have found information that other aircraft going to Africa passed through Malta located in the middle of the mediterranean. So I would assume c/n 1233 was ferried as well. Also the export certificate of airworthiness and the acceptance date by the Guyana police commissioner are nearly the same 04/67 so another thing comes up usually aircraft completed in december usually wound up with an airworthiness certificate in January. I suspect the there is something sketchy here it was probably airworthy for export and flying between 1/67 and 4/67.

The information that was found in the Guyana registry through a third party is limited as well.

I'm not sure if the VP- prefix was painted on the a/c but if it was it was probably removed shortly after arriving and replaced with the 8R- prefix.

I'm not quite how things worked with the British but I believe that Guyana was a British protectorate for a while and the actual Guyana Air Force took a while to be Formed that there was a territorial police force at first and that is why 1233 the first of 3 Helios had the Police on its side.

The photo is of the air craft being painted in 1972 a couple years after the first 2 photos in the
queue above. You can see the Helio factory logo and the large Police letters are primered over.
when I removed the paint on the tail the shadow of the factory logo was still there.

In the next photo you see the Guyana Defence Force Roundel has been painted on. Or is an Erawan? Anyone know for sure?

The next helio c/n 1282 was purchased by the Guyana Defence Force in 9/67. I Believe it was delivered with the same paint scheme you see on 1233 after being repainted, but the third Helio 1285 went to the Army and had a completely different paint scheme

Link to c/n 1282 https://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1011.msg4255#msg4255

link to c/n 1285 https://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1014.msg4260;topicseen#msg4260

Check out the pictures of the other two Guyana Helios.

Anyone out there especially you guys on the east side of the Pond have a different opinion our a better explanation of things.

I will open the photo as #3.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:02:07 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 08:03:33 AM »
I found some information and a picture at a Guyana site  and a copy of 1 and 2 which were found at a Guyana newspaper,

I will open the photo above as #3 and replace the pictures 1 and 2 with apforos witha little better resolution

the info with the photos is kind of amusing maybe Its where this story about #1233 having a red spinner came from that was in the newspaper article that I posted some time ago, I think I'll remove the red spinner story from my history paragraph.

GDF RANDOM NOTES ON SPECIFIC UNITS – AIR WING

Author Unknown

The origins of GDF Air Wing/Air Command/Air Corps. This unit was formed in November 1967 when the GDF was given two single engine Heliocourier U12 STOL aircraft.  This type of aircraft, painted black, was in use in Vietnam for “Black Ops” by US CIA/Special Operations. The GDF aircraft were painted dark green and the nose / cowlings were painted in a bright luminous red. They were familiarly called “Rudolph” after Santa’s red nosed reindeer.

The registration numbers were 8RGCU (Oct 12 1967) and 8RGCV (Oct 30 1967) Maj Neil Pullen, Royal Anglian Reg/ Army Air Corps, a UK Training Team Officer, who was the OC of the Training Wing was given the aircraft to fly.   

actually 8RGCJ was the first Helio to go to Guyana. The dates of arrival show that.

The aircraft had an exceptional short takeoff and landing (STOL) capability. Maj Pullen boasted that if he left his coffee and sandwiches behind he could take off and land on a cricket pitch.

A similar one painted, in white, was given to the Police-8RGCJ (18 May 1967) It was supposed to be piloted by Mr Hutton Griffith who was given the honorary rank of Police Superintendent. This aircraft was infrequently used as Mr Griffith was employed full time in his Civil Service job. It was eventually repainted and handed over to the GDF. The maintenance of the aircraft was done by GAC

The Heliocouriers served us well. They provided a platform, flown by 2nd Lt Murphy, for Col Pope and Major Pilgrim. After Pope led the advance to Annai and he used it to fly around the ranches in the North Savannahs. They were later used for reconnaissance, liaison and troop logistics in the Rupununi, stationed at Lethem for days at a time. 2nd Lt Vieira also flew demolition parties to destroy illegal airstrips in the North Savannah. In the New River Operation, they were used after the initial assault in the same role.

The onus fell on the young pilots. Capt Landreth–Smith resigned shortly after. Throughout the early interior deployment of the GDF the Heliocouriers became the life line of the troops on deployment. Familiarly called “Ruhdolp” they were always a sight for sore eyes. We never felt any qualms about flying long distances over hostile terrain with only a single Lycoming engine to depend on.

Unfortunately, on 9 July 1969, while returning from the North West District, the Heliocourier 8RGCV, piloted by Derek Murphy, developed engine troubles and disappeared. We spent a few days looking for him. It was all hands-on deck, every available light aircraft, public and private and all available officers were out looking for him. I recall flying on one such search mission in the Guysuco Push/Pull Cessna piloted by Derek’s father Brian Murphy. Derek eventually turned up at Charity Police Station clad only in his undershorts and one sock. He had ditched the aircraft in the Atlantic off the Essequibo Coast, swam ashore and made it overland to the Police Station (his clothing washed ashore the following day). Derek Murphy succeeded Captain Landreth–Smith as OC Air Wing until Major Michael Chan-a-Sue was seconded from GAC. Vieira was sent to Embry Riddle to acquire his Commercial Pilots License (CPL).

There was more but didn't copy it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 08:12:21 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug