Author Topic: c/n 1476, EL-TIL  (Read 1995 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 1476, EL-TIL
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:39:28 AM »
5 pictures check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about EL-TIL or anything click on  http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search  Enter ?

c/n 1476, built 06/74 as model H-295, original registry N68879 John Roberts (dealer) SC sold 12/74, Lew Childre & sons inc AL accident while landing aircraft gear collapsed @ Lafayette LA 2/75 placed on PeeKay 3500 amphib floats sold 08/77, Jaars NC (42nd Helio of 46) installed belly pod installed 134 gal ferry tank in middle seat position sold 04/79, Lutheran Bible Translators CA 08/79 dereg and export, rereg EL-TIL Liberia named ''Tilly II'' Institute for Liberian Languages Monrovia, incident parked in 1990 to wait out the war, it was destroyed by unintentional abandonment, after war in Liberia continued much longer than expected (12 years), most parts haveing any value have been stolen including the engine and propeller by unknown persons, now it is more corrosion than steel and aluminum, the shed is now gone, and the jungle has overtaken the aircraft @ unknown place '03, sad ending to a wonderful aircraft that provided service to many in Liberia. Jim Metzler DBR Jaars

Anyone have any higher resolution photos?

As always any further information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 09:33:24 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

jmetzler

Re: c/n 1476, EL-TIL
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »
Here are a couple pictures of SN 1476 taken in 2002. It was parked in 1990 at to wait out the war, which continued much longer than expected. 12 years later, the shed is gone, the jungle has overtaken the aircraft, many parts have been stolen including the engine and propeller. By now I would expect it is more corrosion than steel and aluminum. A sad ending to a wonderful aircraft that provided service to many in Liberia. Jim Metzler

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 1476, EL-TIL
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »
Thank you jim I opened your photos above.

found a picture of a 1400 series photo taken in '79 a prayer is being said for its sucess in its mission, pretty sure it is 'Tilly' because of the timing, I suppose the registry has been removed to paint on EL-TIL after the belly pod is installed.

I will open it as #2 above.
Doug