News:

Welcome to FlyHelio.com. The online forum and website of the Helio Aircraft Association, Inc.

Main Menu

flying flaps

Started by drmatt, November 26, 2010, 01:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmatt

Not exactly a 'modification', but just thought I'd share a recent experience with an unplanned change in design in flight...

About a month ago we took off for a long day trip over the Brooks Range from Fairbanks.  We launched about 10AM and as we climbed we noticed the flaps weren't retracting fully, about 5-10 degrees were still left down.  The flap indicator showed the same.  Flipping the switch seemed to have no effect, either up or down.  So we assumed the motor had fried or was jammed and we turned around to land and check it out.  Flaps stayed where they were until just about touchdown, at which point they dropped to vertical (60-70 degrees?) and we temporarily went airborne again.  Apparently the flaps 'fly' pretty well at flight speeds.  As it turned out, the flap motor (in the right wing) had screwed out the bolt connecting the jack screw to the actuator arm which control both flaps.  But it was a quick fix and an hour or two later we were in the air again and had a beautiful flight from Bettles to Kotzebue and back over the mountains with not a lick of turbulence or a single trace of cloud, arriving home just at sunset.   

So I guess the moral of the story is that if you see the flaps not moving from about the 10 degree position, they will probably stay there just fine while in flight, just  hope nobody sees you land...

Ray Dorsey

SC working again? 

Hi from Ray

mrhelio

drmatt,

I presume you have located a motor then?

Depending on c/n and production data there are 3 different ones

Stephen

drmatt

Everything was fine with the motor, for some reason the jack screw stood still and unscrewed the bolt that connects it to the flap lever.  All it took was reattaching it. 

I've always been a bit concerned about the flap motor itself.  Not that we've had any issues with it, but if it did die I'd like to have one on hand.  Everyone has told me its just a 'standard' Cessna motor (or that one would fit there).  The best I could see from looking in there was a date of 1973, so it's likely the original.  It's located in the right wing.  If you have a part number and source for a replacement, I'd love to have a spare on hand. 

-Matt

drmatt

Hi Ray.  Yep, so far so good.  We had hoped to go for a long trip over this past Thanksgiving week, but the warm weather kept us stuck in the house most of the week.  We tried to fly today we've got a nice coating of ice stuck to it from all of the freezing rain.  I guess if global warming is going to continue, we need to find some waterproof wing covers...
-Matt

mrhelio

Quote from: drmatt on November 28, 2010, 04:47:07 AM
Everything was fine with the motor, for some reason the jack screw stood still and unscrewed the bolt that connects it to the flap lever.  All it took was reattaching it. 

I've always been a bit concerned about the flap motor itself.  Not that we've had any issues with it, but if it did die I'd like to have one on hand.  Everyone has told me its just a 'standard' Cessna motor (or that one would fit there).  The best I could see from looking in there was a date of 1973, so it's likely the original.  It's located in the right wing.  If you have a part number and source for a replacement, I'd love to have a spare on hand. 

-Matt

Do have the specific c/n I'm quite sure it is a 1400 series HC..

drmatt

My aircraft is serial number 1461, so one of the last.  The one time I tried to find a part number on the flap motor I was unable to as I couldnt get a good view of it, only a date that was 1973 or 1974.
-Matt

mrhelio

I'll have all that info very shortly