News:

Welcome to FlyHelio.com. The online forum and website of the Helio Aircraft Association, Inc.

Main Menu

installing rayjays on 295

Started by drmatt, November 25, 2010, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmatt

Hi All.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience using/installing rayjay turbochargers on a 295?  I know a lot of folks have pulled these off.  I do a lot of aerial photography (over 10,000') and landings above 5000' so was considering it, but dont know anything about the hassle factor associated with installing these or maintaining them.  I'm also wondering whether anyone knows of a complete kit for sale?  I found these places to overhaul them (http://www.mainturbo.com/) and sell the STC (http://www.rajayparts.com/) but any other related links would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

mrhelio

There will be several pro's and cons with use of the Riley RayJay turbo system installed on Lycoming GO-480-G1D6/G1A6 applications. If they are used and cared for like anything else turbo H295 will make TBO regardless what others may say. The operational characteristics of high altitude flying carry with them benefits for missions requiring that performance, but they must be used fairly often.

Here is the list for STC info directly applied to Helio

SE 124 SO Installation of two Roto-Master Turbochargers Models 3DT5FF10J2, P/N 600572-00 on Lycoming engine models GO-480-C1B6, -G1B6, G1D6
SA 125 SO Installation of Turbocharged Lycoming GO-480-G1D6 engine (STC SE 124 SO) Helios H395
SA 156 SO Installation of Turbocharged Lycoming GO-480-GID6 engine (STC SE124 SO)  for Helios    H-295
SA 193 SO Installation of turbocharged Lycoming GO-480-C1B6 or GO-480-G1B6 engines (STC SE 124 SO) on the Aero Commander 560E
SA 1592 WE Installation of automatic fuel mixture control in on Helios H-295 and H-395

mrhelio

Part II.

Turbo-normalization is the way to go anymore and the Lycoming TIO-540-J2BD has this feature on the Navajo Chieftain PA-31-350. Automatic altitude compensating systems are less complicated in operation, however the GO-480 has the PS-5D Bendix "carb" and therefore fuel injection is not applied here. Above 10,000 feet AGL normally aspirated power is about 195-210 HP @ 23/27" but with "boost" to 31" the power equivalent goes up dramatically as long as you stay within temps. This gives you 270 HP at average aircraft weight of 31-3200 pounds. If you operate above 12,500 AGL this power is good to 20,000 feet

drmatt

Thanks MrHelio!  I have a field approval approved already to convert the engine to fuel injection but was waiting until I need a carb overhaul before making the switch.  I was a little confused by some of the terminology -- are you saying that it is better (and legal) to install the turbochargers on a GO-480 with fuel injection?  I've never used turbochargers before, and while I have a basic wikipedia understanding of how they function, I dont know anything about the more subtler aspects, like the possibility for increased engine wear you mention if used improperly.
Thanks,
Matt