Author Topic: c/n 100, RP-38  (Read 2495 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 100, RP-38
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:53:49 AM »
7 picstures check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about  RP-38 or anything click on      http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search     Enter ?

c/n 100, built 08/58 as model H-391B original registry N4148D Factory demo model sold '60, Summer Institute of Linguistics CA (Jaars 9th Helio of 46) named "Spirit of Pontiac (Ang Diwa Ng Pontiac)" export '61, PI-38 Jaars arrangement with Philippine Air Force, Pasay City, Villamor Airbase, '74 new registry systen adopted rereg RP-38 handed over to the military Philippine Air Force, Pasay City, Villamor Airbase accident on takeoff during handover ceremony the pilot lost control and seriously damaged the A/C @ Military Grandstand Villamor Airbase '04, reg cancelled authorised for disposal as beyond economic repair 02/04, was based Bukidnon, Mindanao

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:09:24 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Foster

Re: c/n 100, RP-38
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 02:52:35 AM »

This is from my research and my observation, I am not speaking for or apart of these organizations, Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

SUMMER INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTICS (SIL) worked with providing literacy education to indigenous people, while simultaneously working with the Wycliffe Bible Translators on Bible translation. Jungle Aviation and Radio Service (JAARS) is a wholly controlled subsidiary of SIL International, but also partners extensively with other organizations like Wycliffe Bible Translators.
In the citation to receive the 1973 Ramon Magsaysay Award for International Understanding from the Philippine government it states: "The INSTITUTE pursues its mission of research and service to non-literate minorities with broad creativity. Employing the science of descriptive linguistics, primers are prepared with glossaries in the tribal tongue, the main regional and national languages and English. Apt pupils are trained as teachers and help conduct literacy classes for adults and youth. Dictionaries, folk stories, songbooks, simple readers on arithmetic, hygiene and Christian scriptures all become vehicles for new ideas that spur social and spiritual change and national integration.
As in other countries, INSTITUTE personnel in the Philippines—numbering 150—cooperate with the departments of Education, Health and Defense, as did their predecessors who first came to work here two decades ago. Filipino linguists and the Institute of National Languages are principal beneficiaries of their research. At their remote posts they regularly administer first aid and assist in epidemic outbreaks. Field workers are sustained and tribal folk given emergency care by pilots, five aircraft and 30 stations of their unique Jungle Aviation and Radio Service."

SIL, being a linguistic organization, often works under the host government's departments of Education, Health and Defense.  "They (host countries) know we are missionaries, but it makes for better cooperation from the government."  The organization donates the aircraft to the host country.  JAARS maintained and flew the aircraft for the host country, and was allowed to use them to fly linguists and missionaries when not flying government officials. When JAARS leaves the country the aircraft stayed with the host country.

Our family lived in PI from '63 to '67. My father worked with Wycliffe as a pilot/A&P mechanic for JAARS.  Dad said, "I think this picture was taken in July 1965 at a airfield we called Tigwa after the small river nearby. It was about 10 min. from Nasuli our home base," (and 500 miles from Manila).  "If I remember I think the two men are from the Department of Education in Manila checking on the public schools located in the nearby village which is now a large town called San Fernando and has a major road that passes thru the area."

I believe the Air Force was flying in inclement weather when it crashed the aircraft in the 1980's.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:03:11 AM by Foster »

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »
Foster,
Thank you very much, for sharing the picture and the explanation. It was both interesting and helps me to understand how things worked.

I have about 30 more Jaars Helios to post if we could get more pictures I believe it would be appreciated by all.

I edited my first post and put the accident in.

Doug

another  slight edit originally authorised for disposal, as beyond economic repair, at Bukidnon, Mindanao dereg 02/04, ? probably an accident

hung in the Bagabag Hangar for many years before being parted out then scrapped, authorised for disposal, as beyond economic repair, at Bukidnon, Mindanao dereg 02/04
Modify message

another change I had RP-36-38 confused at least Rodney sent me an email instead of making it a post.

handed over to the military Philippine Air Force, Pasay City, Villamor Airbase accident on takeoff during handover ceremony the pilot lost control and seriously damaged the A/C @ Military Grandstand Villamor Airbase '04, reg cancelled authorised for disposal as beyond economic repair 02/04, was based Bukidnon, Mindanao
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
I found a previous post about c/n 100 here http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=391.msg1936#msg1936 while searching for this post.

Here are a couple pictures that I found and never posted for some reason.

I need to do some editing I will do that later
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:01:12 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug