Author Topic: c/n 096, CF-NMF  (Read 5026 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 096, CF-NMF
« on: February 06, 2015, 01:31:02 AM »
5 picstures check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about CF-NMF  or anything click on      http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search     Enter ?

c/n 096, built 11/58 as model H-391B, original registry N4151D Factory until sold 2/59, NY Broome County Aviation NY 02/59, A.E Anderson Construction corp (A.E. Anderson) NY dereg export 05/61, rereg CF-NMF A.E. Anderson construction ltd ON placed on floats '66, removed from floats operated under Nahanni Air serv (Malcolm (Mel) McAllister) NT '?, operated under Ram Air Charter ltd (Malcolm (Mel) McAllister) NT placed on 35'' Tundra tires and wheel skis (unknown time augmenter tube removed converted to H-395A configuration Helio mod #48), it was taken out of serv at Fort McPherson '86, (very high time eng) reg cancelled 11/88, dereg '92, dismantled trucked to 8 miles from Inuvik NT, current operator son Ken McAllister Hong Kong c/n 096 has been taken by truck to current location Edmonton AB for evaluation by Ken and his father Mel for possible restoration

original paint

new paint

while chartered to "Ram Air" at 'Downtown airport' Inuvik in the mid '60s.
condition prior to parts theft

current condition '21
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:28:33 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 096, CF-NMF
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »
edit; of c/n 096 from information received

Ken McAllister Hong Kong has been taken by truck to current location Edmonton AB for evaluation by Ken and his father forpossible restoration[/color]

It’s now been almost two years since we last contacted, and a few things have happened.

email from Ken; "I have finally after planning to do this for many years, just now shipped my father’s Helio 391-B sn. 096, by 18 wheeler truck from Inuvik on the Arctic Coast of the NWT Canada, to Central Alberta. It’s a long haul as the road first goes 450 miles to Dawson City in the Yukon, and then 1550 miles to Edmonton. That’s 2000 miles.
It’s now about half way there, and once I get it put in the shop, my father and I will be able to assess the feasibility of me rebuilding it.
My plan is to restore it, and probably put in the IGSO-480 engine."

In my opinion, I believe that during the evaluation they will find that the upgrade Ken is contemplating, while not impossible. would be extremely time consuming and expensive.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:20:35 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Louis

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 11:54:18 AM »
What is the weight of the supercharged engine ?

Louis

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »
Louis, I don't know off hand what the weight of the supercharged engine is I would have to do some searching but information that comes to mind is that on the H-392/proposed U-10C weight was commented on and on the U-500 twin the double Rayjay/Riley turbocharger was used instead of supercharger because of cost lighter weight and simplicity of installation.

And now the reason for this postI received an email that I'm going to share about c/n 096

edit: I posted Kens E-mail on the theft of 096 I removed some parts that were personal and messed up some parts causing someone to be falsely accused. I sincerely apologize Ken.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:31:22 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Jason Stephens

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:38:34 PM »
That is really crappy if true.

391stol

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
Sounds like a real low life.  We have plenty of low life mechanics and outfitters here in Alaska as well that would pull the same stunt.   What a shame

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »
I have removed Kens email on c/n 096 my rewrite of the Email to remove personal information I mixed things up.

I sincerely apologize Ken.

I will also send an email to you.

In my own defense I thought my understanding was so cut and dried that I didn't need to ask for permission
this the second time I've done this. apparently I'm a slow learner.

Doug
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 02:32:40 AM »
A photo of c/n 096 while chartered to "Ram Air" at Inuvik in the mid '60s.

Anyone know its current status was a rebuild ever began.

opened photo 3rd in queue above.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:05:25 PM by Doug Johnson 1 »

tailhook

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
What is the weight of the supercharged engine ?

Louis

514-517 pounds depending on the specific version

Stephen

Namaolen

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 10:51:55 AM »
Since 1961 this Helio had flown all over the North West Territories until 1986 when owner Malcolm McAllister put it into storage at Inuvik airport. He dismantled and meticulously put all slats, flaps, ailerons, fin, etc inside the fuselage with plans to ship it south to Alberta and reassemble it once he had the engine rebuilt.  Malcolm unfortunately passed away this past winter. Since his passing it has now come to light by witnesses that while this Helio was in storage another Helio flew in, punched out the circular window, cut open the skin and helped themselves to most of what was stored in the plane. I have now taken ownership of this Helio and will likely sell what's left of it.        Posting to come,   Len

Namaolen

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 11:35:53 AM »
For Sale,   From what I know is that this Helio c/n 096 has never been in any kind of wreck, the fuselage is in good condition and complete with nameplate, engine mount, carry thru, controls, front seat.  Also, its original set of wings (both have some fixable damage), a set of ailerons, landing gear coverings.
I have no idea what this is worth and am open to offers.  I have additional pictures and can be contacted at     flyerlen@gmail.com 

Thanks, Len

Doug Johnson

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 01:40:38 PM »
Len, Sorry to hear about Malcoms passing. What a shame sad situation, Ken McAllister told me about the theft about 5 years ago maybe little more but asked me not to post anything unfortunately I had already posted it I edited my post and removed what I could while they were pursuing the thief. Ken seemed to believe that Malcolm knew the name of the thief, 5 years ago I knew who that was believed to be but I've long forgotten.

Was anyone ever prosecuted for this or did the investigation of the theft go away with Malcolm's death? Personally I hope the Mounties caught their man.

I took the liberty of resizing this photo and opening it in the queue above.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:58:30 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug