Author Topic: c/n 093, N4144D  (Read 2402 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 093, N4144D
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:03:56 AM »
3 pictures check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about N4144D or anything click on      http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search     Enter ?

c/n 093, built 07/58 as model H-391B original registry N4144D Factory installed extended exhaust & added belly camera port for Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (Paul Fye) MA placed on floats then removed floats sold '70, Phillip Norman MA sold '70, Phillip Murray NH sold '72, Lewis Dickinson, Maurice Oswald & Kenneth Walch AK sold '73, Richard Noble & Robert Slater & Jim Magowan AK sold '75, James Magowan accident with a low cloud ceiling and fog, the pilot made a precautionary off airport landing en route, aircraft landed hard bounced and then hit trees @ near Anchorage AK 10/76, dbr sold '77 Ron Sutphin Ontario OR salvaged for parts, dereg '06

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 10:18:02 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 093, N4144D
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 06:09:44 AM »
added only pic found appears to have been taken '72-'76 while at Anchorage international.
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »
I found another picture. I thought it was c/n 056 N444PB so I posted it there but after some help from Bob, this was his previous post below. His reference to 'Woods Hole' gave me another search parameter and I figured out it was actually N4144D c/n 091.

I did a bunch of editing and moved the photo to here.

I will open it above

Hi Doug-  referring to your question about "Dyer's Dock":   Dyer's Dock is a finger pier at Woods Hole, Mass.
It is adjacent to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution which acquired  the Helio to support some executive travel and some oceanographic research using aerial observation of whales and other marine life. They had a Grumman Widgeon and a Stinson in the fleet as well. the slow flight capabilities of the Helio Courier came to the  attention of William Sheville, a chief marine mammal scientists who, in a letter, described the Helio's atrributes and noted how many feet of film he had of airplane struts taken from the Stinson. The building behind the Helio you can see was constructed specifically to hangar the Helio.  The far end of the dock had a ramp and the Helio was launched and retrieved on a cart right into Woods Hole Harbor beside the ferry terminal.  The building and Dyer's Dock exist there still although the ramp is gone and the Bouy Group, which occupies the building includes no one who knows what a Helio is or why the building has that peak.  The chief pilot for the all the airplanes was Bobby Weeks.
    P.S.  Just noted the watermark on the Helio/Dyers Dock photo:  it is the Logo of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution which feature the depiction of the ketch Atlantis.  My guess on the time of the photo is 1960.  I might find more info.
    I have worked with some of the scientists who used the Helio.  One tale is about lowering a hydrophone ( underwater microphone) out of the right door of the Helio on a cable while the Helio was kept on a slow tight  right turn over some whales.  Once in the water the hyrdophone would stay in one position while the Helio circled and the sounds were recorded without nearby ship engine noise.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:57:56 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Louis

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 05:41:33 PM »
I found

One tale is about lowering a hydrophone ( underwater microphone) out of the right door of the Helio on a cable while the Helio was kept on a slow tight  right turn over some whales.  Once in the water the hyrdophone would stay in one position while the Helio circled and the sounds were recorded without nearby ship engine noise.

I love this one  !!

Remind me of Water World film with the Helio turning around a mast.

There was a gentleman here with an Helio a long time before i had one.  This gentleman was specialized in painting church bell towers.  When i bought my first Helio, peopleat airports would telle me :  Ah !!  You have the same plane as the painter of church bell towers use for his job. Incredible plane !

So i tought that this gentleman was painting those church towers with his helio turning around them with some kind of gizmo at the wing tip that could had spray the paint.  Took me years until someone explained to me that he did not use it to paint the towers.  He did use it to fly nearby  a contract from one village to the other, landing in fields near the churches. This gentleman was always saying that i did not have a real Helio because i did not have the crosswind landing gear.  He did liked a lot his

Louis

JamesCaird

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 11:31:29 AM »
Hi Louis-  Thanks for the story although I think a bit of the Helio work in Waterworld was CGI.  According to Michael Steel (our San Diego Seaplanes guy here) he only pulled one waterskier and the others were added CGI.  Steve Murray out that West Coast way supplied the Helio for the crash scenes. The Helio got harpooned from Kevin Costner's trimaran.

On the circling around a spot:  a jungle technique I am aware of is lowering a bucket out the door on a line and then flying a circle and lowering away.  At some point the buck stays in the center and you lower on down until you can exchange contents while the airplane circles.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 10:39:47 AM »
I found a short YouTube video and did a screen capture to post this color photo.

While looking at the picture I was thinking the WHOI on the tail of both the first and second photo must be for 'Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute' I had sort of figured the placard on the third photo was something like the watermark on the first photo.

I then noticed the 'Reeve Air' jet and the distinctive control tower that used to be at 'Anchorage International' which would from the 'History Paragraph' pretty much date the third photo to '74-'75 after leaving WHOI.

Doug