Author Topic: Helio on Amphib Floats  (Read 7744 times)

JamesCaird

Helio on Amphib Floats
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
Hi Guys- I am on the trail for a Helio H-295 on Amphib Floats.   
Let me first apologise for being a little in a rush today -I am off working and can't be doodling around on the web too much so was looking for a short cut to head me off in the correct direction.  I know amongst all you guys you have likely come upon this before.....

I am trying to figure out which floats are available for an H-295, either straight floats or amphibs and which model Amphib Floats are approved.

If one has an -H-295 on straight floats, how much of struts and/or attach fittings are the same for amphibs (any?)  In other words:  How much more work/parts are required to get a float equipped H-295 onto Amphibs?

H-250?   Were all factory Helios adaptable to floats?  Apart from the forward main gear attach points, do all Helios, or some Helios have a rear attachment point built it or strengthened to accept the aft float attach fittings?   

H-250 with IO-540-Is this combination able to support Amphib Floats?     Thanks for now/JC

Gordon Cragg

Re: Helio on Amphib Floats
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »
James;
I know the EDO (Now Kenmore Air Harbor) 696-3500 Amphib Floats are STC'd
Also PeeKay B-3500's for H-250's 3500C for H-295
Wipaire does not show anyhing available on their website, but I am pretty sure that their 3450's fir the Helio.
Rigging is a question best put to the individual manufacturers.
Call Michael Steele at 858-453-8833 he operates an H-295 on PeeKay amphibs
Gordon Cragg
713-502-7274

Louis

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
This is mine on Wipair 3400.  LSTC  ( Limited STC ( one of a kind ))

jmetzler

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:15:17 AM »
As far as I know, all Helios have the fittings welded into the fuselage truss for the rear attach points.

I have attached a list of all the floats I see approved for the various Helios taken from the Type Certificate and the STC listings. Keep in mind, if the floats are approved by TC, no 337 is needed, it is a minor alteration, only a logbook entry is needed.

Also, I just discovered that there is a new TC revision dated March 10, 2014. they corrected the erroneous rudder travel for the HT295. I had pointed this out to David some time ago and am glad to see it is fixed.

Jim Metzler

JamesCaird

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
Thanks to all you guys for  the info. This is a great forum and resource-Cheers/JC

JamesCaird

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
And Louis- Great looking aircraft.  Are you and your Helio in Ontario?  Any chance to come have a look?  I am in MAssachusetts. Ice is gone out here.  I think you can PM me/  cheers and thanks again/  JC   (aka Bob Wallace)

Louis

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:16:07 AM »
And Louis- Great looking aircraft.

Come on.  This is the worse looking Helio in the world.  Paint scheme, or the lack of it, makes it ugly.  But it is one of the best.

Are you and your Helio in Ontario? 

Quebec, MontrĂ©al.  May be closer to you.  You can come and try it.  Still on skis.  Going for a month in the Flying Winnebago in the west USA and i come back around beginning may.  It will be on floats at that time.

Louis

JamesCaird

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:43 AM »
Thank you, Louis, for the invitation.  Will enjoy taking you up on that.  Will see what we can arrange for when you are back on your floats.
 By "Great Looking Aircraft" I mean yours, too, but Helios in General as best expression of Form following function.  They are beautiful to behold!  I am often surprised when other pilots do not recognize this.....Cheers and thanks/  JC/   Bob Wallace