Author Topic: Need Tow Bar Ideas  (Read 4390 times)

Gordon Cragg

Need Tow Bar Ideas
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »
Good Morning Everyone;
It looks like I am going to be unable to use my tailwheel towmotor to pull the H-295 into its new home. I am, unfortunately, going to need to use a tug to "push" the Helio into a T-Hangar. Therefore, I am in need of ideas on how to build a tow bar and  to attach brackets onto the main gear. Any ideas, thoughts?
Gordon Cragg
713-502-7274

Ken Berger

Re: Need Tow Bar Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:53:28 AM »
Well, it's not a towbar, but one of the T hangers here in Monroe WA didn't have room behind the tail, and instead of using a towbar, he set up a cable winch.  The winch fits just below the rudder and hooks onto the tail wheel fork.  There is a metal channel mounted to the concrete floor which guides the tailwheel into position.  It all seems to work ok.

I actually have more problem pushing my Helio out of the hanger because of the tinyest of all possible up gradients as it rolls out.  If the floor is wet at all then I need a second person to help.
Ken

JamesCaird

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
I have had the same problem and address it the same way.  Got a small electric boat winch and hooked to a small spare battery w/ charger and then a remote wire to the motor so I could walk around the airplane or spot the wing tips as they come to the door.  Important to make sure that the remote is reliable as you do not want the motor to pull the airplane into the wall!    Also for that reason I used a cord/rope which was pretty light so could be cut easily and quickly with a sharp knife which was always mounted beside the winch in case of failure of remote switch.  You could also mount a "panic/cutoff" switch nearby to stop the winch.  The whole rig is a heart saver if you have that slight incline into hangar.

Denis

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »
I have a good system
I will send you pics of it this week
and explain you how it's work
have a good day
Denis

Gordon Cragg

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »
Thanks Dennis.