News:

Welcome to FlyHelio.com. The online forum and website of the Helio Aircraft Association, Inc.

Main Menu

Unidentified Helios I

Started by Doug Johnson, August 10, 2011, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Johnson

Some more unidentified Helios
First two are Canada.

The 3rd picture has a couple Peruvian Helios probably H-391's can't make out the registry on the wing probably OB-0000, looks like possibly something 605. The picture is from August 1964 National Geographic magazine.

Doug
edit c/n 505

edit; orig N4159D, CF-LOL, N272PM, now N395DG, Doug Gallant

edit This was N4200B c/n 004 owned by the National Geographic Society
Doug

gearedone

The bottom photo is from what Larry Montgomery told me about the STOL Arrester gear that was adapted by JAARS. You could essentially fly an orbit over a target area where landing was nearly impossible, even for a Helio. They would tether a cable from the airplane to the two poles shown and extract the goods via an orbiting slow-flight turn, to accomplish this, the arrester cable was dropped and attached much like landing a jet on a carrier. The airplane would make a minimum radius turn at very slow speed and then hit the target with the supplies.

The photo clearly shows the "arc" of a two-blade prop, so in my opinion, it is a H-391B.

I remember reading this article back in the 60's at the Public Library, and was fascinated by the use of this concept. The Librarian told me at the time that they should write a book about Larry Montgomery.

Cheers,
Stephen 

jmetzler

EL-TIL is in Liberia but was destroyed after the war. It is SN 1476 and was N68879 in it's previous life.  Jim Metzler

TreeTopFlyer

Hello Doug,

This is Chris Armand owner of N295LA.  I found those old pictures a few months ago with the Aussie registration...quite interesting. My plane is doing well and I am enjoying it...I have the old indonesian logbooks also...Stephen Murray did a great job on the plane...it now also has RayJays on it...

Anyway enjoy your posts...

gearedone

Hello Chris,

N295LA is probably the finest example of the 295 flying in the lower 48. I remember when Stephen was working on this project to bring it up to 1400 standards. The Riley Rajays get you up and over mountainous terrain out there, but with 60 gallons, not much in the long range department.

I still think you should put the polished aluminum spinner back on.

In the 12-15,000 foot AGL levels that bird should dial in some impressive cruise numbers

Cheers,
Stephen (Helio know-nothing in Oshkosh)

Doug Johnson

Jim,
Thanks for the reply I've found a bunch of references to JAARS in the list I just posted you need to check them out.

Chris,
I'm glad you found the Australian stuff interesting I was able to find the errors in the Australian information I had. Using the John Davis list, I just merged it with my list.

Stephen,
What's this Helio know nothing? I thought You knew everything or at least could find out.

Doug
Doug