Author Topic: Hand prop a GO-480  (Read 6806 times)

Doug Johnson

Hand prop a GO-480
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:41:26 AM »
Hand propping

I was at the EAA site and happened to run into a video on hand propping. They showed how to do it from the front pretty much how I did it on my 172. One time I tried a electric start with an almost dead battery and my starter hung up and I couldn't even hand prop it. I didn't have any tools with me at all, not even a leatherman knife, that never happened again. I couldn't even get the cowl open to pound on the starter with a rock. I wound up walking about 20 miles in bear country no gun either. This was a spur of the moment flight and I had none of my survival gear with me. If had been a forced landing could have been serious, but that's a whole different topic and I got to think about it on that long walk.

I had always hand propped the J-3 from the rear I tried that on the 172 didn't work.

When I put #1233 back together, I was told it was practically impossible to hand prop a geared engine so I did several things. I went from A manual prime to an electric prime with the boost pump which guarantees you're not going to do a hand prop if you have no battery. An acquaintance had recently had a little fire from a manual primer with a worn through primer line. So in the interest of safety I didn't want any more fuel  lines than necessary inside the cabin. I even went to an oil gauge with electric sending unit to get the oil line out of the cabin. But I can imagine instances where you might have battery to the prime pump but no electric start.

I connected my red strobe on the tail to the master switch so if left the master on, my strobe would continue to flash. I also went to a 24 volt system with two 12v RG-25XC batteries in series, I could do a lot of churning before the battery became weak.

I remember seeing a post by someone somewhere that they had hand propped a GO-480. I messed around a little when we first started putting #1233 back together and I couldn't figure out how you could hand prop it without being turned into parts if you did manage to get it started.

If some has a way to safely hand prop a three bladed GO-480 please post a step by step description of how you did it.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:49:57 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

gearedone

Re: Hand prop a GO-480
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:40:49 AM »
You have two things going against you. 1) the proper procedure would be full rich mixture, not with a GO-480 are you gonna do that, unless you want to flood the rascal. 2) That is a torque engine with 8 feet of prop unless you have a second person with you it would be a bit of a task to go three turns and hope it fires, then shove the mixture in.

I wouldn't want to do it. Someone here might have a handle on this.

This happened last Friday at Central County Airport, the owner decided to give 5 full throttle pumps before he started and as a consequence he had a hot mag to boot. Airplane was just restored.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:31:49 AM by gearedone »

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
Stephen,
Man that's a hard way to learn a lesson.

I thought that was you that made the post about hand propping the GO-480 ;D . It seemed pretty far fetched and wasn't your style of post. Good to be reassured that you don't post bull like that. Not that I ever believed you did. 

If I can ever figure out where I read it I'll copy it.

I would still like to know if really did happen, or could be done. People get pretty innovative when they're a long way from home.

Doug

Doug

gearedone

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
I did do it once a long time ago, but there were two people. I won't work solo.

Try starting a T-Bone with one guy!!........Not gonna happen!!

Doug Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »

Stephen,
Okay, there's two of you and your partner knows his stuff. But by the time you get it pulled through a complete compression stroke you are so far out of position that you risk being turned into Parts. That's the way it seemed to me anyway, when I tried doing a dry run.

From your picture you look like a tall lanky sort of guy maybe that helps.

Maybe you can sort of choreograph the moves for me, sort of a move by move description.

I have no experience whatsoever with with the Twin beech none just a tiny bit with a geared engine Aerocomander 500. I could't imagine prop starting either of those with even 3 people (not sure what the third person would even be doing)

Doug
Doug

gearedone

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
The only time I will ever get that prop to cycle is by pulling some blades through to check for nose case tightness and anything moving.  After that, if it don't start tough luck.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
Stephen,
You said you did this once, probably a long time ago when you were young dumb and full of... stuff.
I'm going to put you on the what if spot.

Here's the scenario, I'm going to mix in a lot of past experiences that all turned out well. YOU and your best buddy are Flying N/W of Lake Iliamna in route for Anviak, this is an area that’s miles and miles of nothing, but nothing. You travel over it, or wait for winter when things freeze. You are flying high about 8'000 AGL and it's CAVU you spot some smoke off to your left and you deviate from your flight plan to investigate. You reach the smoke it took you longer than you thought it would. You are now almost 50 miles off your flight plan. You see it's an old Caribou hunter camp on a gravel ridge, the caribou are long gone and its a pretty remote area and the fire has pretty much gone out, but they have a nice strip there after a little discussion you decide to land and check it out you have plenty of time and when you get back in the air you can amend your flight plan.

You go to start the Helio and you get nothing. You can't walk out, you can't communicate, you're quite a ways off your flight plan you could set off your ELT and see what happens, you do have survival gear but you and your buddy are going to be sharing the same sleeping bag its going to be cozy and uncomfortable.

Do you wait a couple days, and try a handprop when you run out of food, or is there a way to hand prop in an emergency that doesn't leave you missing parts.

Now somebody give me an answer. I'd really like an answer that goes beyond suicide or Drawing straws to decide who survives.

Thanks, for your help, Doug
Doug

Gordon Cragg

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
This really does not qualify as "hand propping' a GO-480, but...picture this...(we need some mood music)...it was a dark sultry night at a small turf strip outside of Tapachula, Mexico (drugs were not involved). Yours truly left the master switch on (great idea on the beacon wired to the master Doug) and being young, stupid and wanting to get back to Mexico City in the worst way...we tried to hand prop the GO-480. Absolutely no luck.
However, luck being what it is (or was). An old Mexicana mechanic said he knew a way!! OK, my interest, peeked to a plus 10+++
Just how do you think we can accomplish this , no small feat, Jose?? Senor, we just wrap a rope around the prop hub about 6 times and have 4 of my fellow "idiots" pull when I say pull??? Well it didn't work the first time, but did the second. Just enough battery left to excite the generator and off we went to MEX. Oh to be young and stupid!!!!
Gordon Cragg

Doug Johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
I had heard of the rope trick being used on larger planes but honestly never thought of it for a small plane.

Do you think it would work for just two people or one it must take a pretty good pull because your leverage would be limited.

I always carried tie down ropes they were part of my survival gear.

Doug
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:07:03 AM »
I remember someone saying they thought hooking my beacon to the master was a bad idea because it was a strobe and being hooked to the master you couldn't turn it off in hard IFR conditions.

I can't remember if I changed it or not.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:40:01 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug