Author Topic: Helio Floats  (Read 7746 times)

Gerald Jordan

Helio Floats
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:15 AM »
Hello All.
I am looking for information on Edo 3430 floats for my H-391b Helio Courier.
I have bought some 3430 floats for my 391b and I would like to know if the rigging is the same for the H-295, H-395, H-250,NS the H-391B?
I am hoping to do this float change in the future and I don't want too many surprises.
Gerry
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:25:56 AM by Gerald Jordan »

greatlakeshelio

Re: Helio Floats
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »
Rigging is the same for 391B with the 3430's, remember that water tends to collect around the lip of the wing over the windshield, this can be a pain. The leaks are somewhat of a nuisance.

Gerald Jordan

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:58:28 AM »
Thank you Stephen.
Gerry

rbeede

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
Contact Kenmore air in washinton they own I believe all the tooling etc to make you new ones if you need them..bob

Ken Berger

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
I agree.  Rigging is the same.  I have a set, although it's not the set in the photo below.  Kenmore will make you a set from scratch for $10,000.  There may be some in Canada who can fab for less.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:22:22 PM by Ken Berger »
Ken

Ray Dorsey

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »
The Bolts For the Rear blcks is smaller Then the 295/395 and will need bushed ,unless they are special built for the 391.
or if you are able to find the oiginal float blocks.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »
I find it interesting that the rigging for a set of floats costs $10,000. In 1993 when I bought my Helio I borrowed or maybe a better word is rented a set of attach blocks from a guy in Washington, (don't remember his name) for 200 bucks plus a 400 dollar deposit to cover his costs if I didn't return them. I had access to a machine shop after hours and made a set. I think I did spend about 3 or 400 dollars for materials. I never used them and sold them for an even thousand.  What Would it cost in materials to make a set of blocks yourself in today's dollars,around a $1000.00? And how much would it cost to make the rest of the rigging yourself?

Doug 
Doug

Gordon Cragg

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »
I was in San Diego several weeks ago and flew H-295, N295HC, SN#1217. Steve Byers purchased this Helio in Alaska and had it on PK floats. The floats have been removed and the airplane is obviously on the gear. I would "assume" that all the rigging/blocks etc. are with the aircraft. Steve seems to be a likeable guy and, again an assumption, maybe the required items can be "reverse engineered" and owner supplied. What do we need to do?
Gordon

Doug Johnson

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
You have to remember that it slightly more than 18 yrs ago, I've drank a lot of beers since then and killed off a lot of brain cells its probably reached survival of the fittest, maybe I'm getting smarter, but when I made those blocks, as I recall the guy I borrowed them from knew the numbers on the metal for the blocks and I simply bought stock measured them and machined them, with a lot of help of course, not being a certified machinist, but wasn't too hard.

I would imagine that any reasonably competent machinist could measure them and make them. As I recall, there can be some question about stc's or some kind of paperwork or something like that. I just never brought that to anyone's attention and as far as I know my set of blocks is still out there somewhere.

Since they are being made by Kenmore, if you are making them for anyone but yourself, it could get tricky. I'd do my homework.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:19:33 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

391stol

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
float blocks should be very easy to machine. A drawing would be nice if approval is needed. you can reverse engineer them also.  This seems to be the road we are having to take with these birds.  When i built my lower steel wing fittings i had $1800.00 in a set with heat treat and freight for materials.  The next ones should be alot cheaper as  i now have them in autocad for the machine program to cut.

Ray Dorsey

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »
Your Helio Was on 3430,s when it was here  in Alaska . Cliff Hickson of Anvik River Lodge Had the A/C at that time.
I don,t Know if he sold the floats before the  a/c went to Oklahoma for work.