Author Topic: Instrument panel scan  (Read 258 times)

yukonranger

Instrument panel scan
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:58:00 PM »
Does anyone have an instrument panel scan or a copy (from a scanner) of a panel.  I'm contemplating an avionics upgrade and would like to have the panel ready before taking the plane down.

Thanks

Mike

Doug Johnson

Re: Instrument panel scan
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
Is a scanned image different than a digital photograph?

I have lots of photographs

Here are four of 1251 that I like because they are the nonsymmetrical panel used in the U-10D considered by Larry Mongomery to be a better panel than the 1400 series panel, because it gives better visibility to the right when flying from the left seat.

Larry gave me a U-10D panel to put in 1233 but I didn't take the time because I  already had a panel built, later I wished I had put the nonsymmetrical panel in because it would have given me more panel space on the left side.

I have a lot of other instrument panel photos may post a bunch of others

Maybe other owners can post some photos of a panel that they like.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:19:49 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 09:52:28 PM »
couple other panels here is my helio 1233 with the 1200 series symmetrical panel and 1249's non symmetrical panel.

As you can see the instruments on the right side fit a lot better with the nonsymmetrical panel

on my Helio I put green panel lights under the glare shield separated the control panel from the yoke mount put the jacks for the head sets above my head near the air vent in the center.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:20:22 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 08:24:57 AM »
Mike, I even have a picture of your panel. Is it still the same? Do you plan on some cool modifications to your panel.

The second picture a 1400/1700 series panel that I like, and the main reason for that is the repositioning of the radios from the conventional center stack to the left side, easy to reach with your left hand while keeping your hand on the throttle yoke whatever. I believe the the compass belongs at the top of the windsheild and should a vertical card style. I believe I would give this layout some consideration if I was doing a new panel.

Maybe Bob Wallace can give us an opinion on that panel.

No reason for a lever style throttle quadrant unless you were going to put reversible Hartzel prop on it for use on floats. This has been done on at least one seabee with the GO-480 engine I think Mt makes a reversible prop as well. A reversible prop would sure make for a quick stop when landing without using much brakes. Larry Mongomery showed me that as you touched down to go to minimal pitch with the prop to help with a short landing.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:52:12 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

yukonranger

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 06:15:26 PM »
I am planning to get a G3X with the engine kit. If I had a scan of a 1400 series panel’ I could get the panel cut before getting started. Helios take a lot of disassembly to get the panel out

xeyes

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 07:05:58 PM »
I tried getting a reversing prop from MT but they are only available for the prop flanged gearboxes. My new MT should be shipping from Germany on the 10th its going to have some big boots to fill after the 109' take off in Valdez.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 10:13:08 PM »
Z, why couldn't you replace the flanged shaft that goes into the gear box?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:59:47 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 10:27:40 PM »
I think it is just plain dumb to have an airplane that you have to disassemble to take the panel out. I built a U-channel that went across the bottom just below the yoke columns to mount the throttle prop all the other cables and fiddely bits to. That way I just used a U cutout in the upper panel to remove the  panel on each side of the radio stack that way there was no need remove the the yokes to remove the upper section of the panel.

For some reason when Lew refurbished the panel and installed the digital eng monitor he went back to the one piece panel. Never really understood that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:03:43 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

JamesCaird

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
Hi Guys-  The photo you have captioned #1709 is H22.  On the H22 panel- (The Panel put together by Pima County Sherriffs Department)  This panel was built with the Allison 250 up front.  The configuration was, I think, unique to them.  The aircraft was supporting and aerial surveillance camera system with IR.  Also a LoJack system of antennae on the belly and monitor inside.  The airplane was flown on missions with single pilot in left seat forward, no co-pilot seat.  The backseater right side "flew" the camera and had control screen and monitor in front of him with hs own radio sets to communicate with ground and intercom to pilot.
   On the panel forward is Garmin 480.  Next is Blue Mountain screen with all flight data, various selectable screens for terrain, etc.  Center is VGA screen which was used to display camera out info (information only- you can plug anything into that-inflight movie?)  Next right is engine graphic info, fuel, flaps, elevator trim, etc, plus data history. Torque and fuel condition levers in center.  Keep in mind it is set up for single pilot in left seat.  If I designed one myself I think I prefer radios in center stack so right seater can help if required.  I am used to it now and it is fine.  Otherwise I am still an old steam gage sort of guy.
   Doug- nice photos- many nice panels.  I still have to come up with something for #1709.  The old panel  I thought was beautiful but when they started refurbishing it at Tucson they removed the panel for upgrade but the whole project got stopped so there is no panel. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:41:57 AM by JamesCaird »