Author Topic: Helio training  (Read 551 times)

Doug Johnson

Helio training
« on: May 23, 2021, 11:26:59 AM »
I was doing one of my periodic searches for Helio stuff
and ran across SOAR which uses N6463V c/n 1233 for
training.

Just for something to post I decided to post a link to them.

http://www.soar-m17.org/index.php/our-services/our-planes/14-rental/39-07-helio
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:32:38 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Kevin Dunn

Re: Helio training
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 07:25:26 PM »
Thanks for posting the link Doug. Just got done flying with a guy.

Kevin

rmartell

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 09:50:02 PM »
My intent is to put a few hours with SOAR prior to insuring and flying SN#1295.
Travelling to the states may prove difficult, however.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 06:21:16 AM »
Kevin, I don't think anyone would have been offended if you had posted a link yourself after all it is Helio information that any aspiring Helio pilot might need sometime.

I'm tempted to visit your neck of the woods just to find out how much I've forgotten.

Robert speaking of c/n 1295 we need a progress picture. What does it look like now?
Do you have s registry mark Yet?

I haven't been paying attention to the northern border closure but haven't they relaxed the border closure yet if you have gotten your shot?

Here is a link to the History paragraph.
https://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1024.msg4277#msg4277
Doug

Jason Stephens

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 09:36:34 AM »
I just did a day of flying with Kevin in SOAR's Helio.  Had some weather challenges but it gave us more time to chat.  Ended up with 12 landings, pretty much all with light to moderate crosswind and some gusts.  Definitely a great challenge but was loads of fun.  Having SOAR's Helio available for training is a huge benefit to the community I think.  Even with airline tickets, hotel, rental car etc. it was money well spent.  If you are thinking of buying a Hello, go fly with these guys first before you purchase. ;)

Thanks Kevin!

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 11:10:05 AM »
When I ran across this photo in social media,I remembered that Flathorn aka Byron had asked about training but I forgot to answer his question.

So this link is the answer, click on;  http://www.soar-m17.org/index.php/our-services/our-planes/14-rental/39-07-helio

Kevin Dunn at Soar is where you go to get your training. I hear nothing but good things about the training and that Kevin is an all around nice guy.

I didn't copy the caption to the photo but you can tell that the guy in the foreground is pleased with his training.

His comment was something about it was a kick ass day but tons of fun.

A lot of Helio incidents and accident appear to be caused by lack of type training in the Helio. Probably Cessna 185 pilots that think they are really good pilots in any taildragger.

Hopefully the guy in the photo with the big grin will step up and tell us about his day.

MY personal training was 10 hours with Larry Montgomerie's training pilot in a Helio. My previous training time in 'tail draggers' was about a loggable hour in a J-3 cub with one takeoff and landing, which is about as far as you get from a Helio and still be in a tail dragger.

10 hours is just barely enough time to know what you are doing and in my case wasn't enough to erase muscle memory of 1500 hrs plus of nose wheel time so when I was turned loose with my own Helio on a rough grass strip that sloped to the right I immediately got out of shape because I wasn't aggressive enough with the rudder. Instead of continuing I chopped the power stood on the brakes and wound up doing half of a slow speed ground loop and didn't do any damage to the airplane at all.

Any way a little more training an I was OK but I still think if you are a zero time taildragger pilot and not one of those few just naturally good pilots 20 hours would be better.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:05:20 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Jason Stephens

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 10:59:11 PM »
Ha! Yup, that's me and Kevin.  Great fun that day but certainly challenging.  My schedule is super busy with a glider flying business and a family so I just had one day with Kevin and we made the most out of it.  Rain was an issue on and off but that gave us time to talk Helio stuff.  Fairly stiff & gusty crosswind  the whole time too.  Great practice but quite a workout!  We got in 12 landings, most of which were decent.  Plane was great, any lack of grace was purely from me.  I have a few thousand hours tailwheel in various types and still believe I need more instruction from Kevin before I fly mine.  At least now I have confidence that flying one on wheels is indeed possible for me.  All my previous Helio flying was on floats in AK but that isn't worth much. 

Thanks again to Kevin & SOAR!   

CRoss

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 10:33:10 AM »
In 2018 I was trading my Cessna 185 for a Helio.  Before I went to pick up the Helio in New York,  I too made the trip to Bolivar, Mo. (M17) and benefited from Kevin's excellent instruction.  I didn't know at the time that we were flying the Helio that  Doug Johnson had previously owned!

Thanks Again to Kevin & S.O.A.R. !