Author Topic: RaJay for H295  (Read 575 times)

Neil

RaJay for H295
« on: May 15, 2021, 09:48:20 AM »
Hello, I'm looking for complet used RaJay Turbo kit for H295.
Thank you
Neil

jmetzler

Re: RaJay for H295
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 06:02:49 AM »
Check with Wright Air in Fairbanks. Jim

Neil

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:06:27 PM »
Hello Mr Metzler, Thank you for the info.
Best Regards
Neil

yukonranger

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 08:56:38 AM »
What do these systems weigh, what do they cost and what is the MP limit?

andrewstolte

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:48 PM »
I have that I have not installed yet and I would guess at least 70lbs

Louis

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 06:44:34 AM »
what is the MP limit?

These are just approved as normalizers.  You can't use them to obtain more horsepower than what the engine develop at sea level.  We can use them only to keep the MP at sea level or below as you gain altitude.  Lycoming have a pretty strong paper if we overboost an engine. 

Louis

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:53:41 AM by Louis »

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 04:31:39 AM »
Just happen to run across this at 'Back Country Pilot'

There is a turbo option. My late friend Lowell Thomas Jr has the record here on Denali for 13 landings and takeoffs at 14,200' in his turboed H-295 Helio Courier. He told me the turbo installation leaked a fair bit of oil, which is why he took it off when he didn't need it.
He also fell firmly in that 10% range that qualify as "Helio Wizards".
-DP
Doug

TreeTopFlyer

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
Louis is correct they are turbo normalizers.  I like them they are effective when you takeoff at altitude...I live at 4500..also obviously effective when flying above 12K...I do see increase in speed.....you must install placard which gives boost limits at various altitudes....send me text and I will send pic of placard..Ill be at airport completing annual about an hour...(775) 848-7591

Louis

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 11:40:59 AM »
My neighbor at the airport is a Comanche with an STC for a turbo on each engine.  Injection and turbo.  So the injector has a small Y.  One of the branches is for the fuel, the other one for air pressure that comes from the turbo.  Because injectors have an opening, so the fuel could go out if the pressure would be too high compared to the atmosphere.  These Turbo are normalizers only.  And the pressure is adjusted manually.  Not with an automatic door.  There are two manual levers to adjust the pressure altitude.  The STC POH supplement ask to  never go over natural .  There is no safety on them like there is on many turbos.

At our airport, we have a new taxiway.... for cars only.  We opened the other side of the runway for new hangars.  This small taxiway can be used with a car to go from one side to the other.  And there are two signs at the entrance that clearly show a NO PLANE, CARS ONLY.  The signs are quite close to each other, on each side of this small road.

The Comanche didn't think that there was a good reason not to take that road So it went there to go on the other side of the runway.  Both propellers had an interesting encounter with each of the NO PLANE signs.  Both props was damaged, and both engines had to be checked ( rebuild ) because of the prop strike.  Nobody was hurt.  So the engines were removed and send to the shop.  New or repaired prop had to be installed.  Two months later, the engines came back and were installed.  In the maintenance, both turbo levers were left full front.  Maximum pressure.  The Comanche had to do the new engine break-in.  Lycoming recommends some clear instruction for break-in a new engine.  One of the instructions is to keep a lot of power the first so or so hours.  The Comanche took off without touching the turbo levers.  Leaving them at full turbo.  And flying high power for many hours, as instructed by Lycoming. 

The Comanche was very very happy with the performance of his new engines and prop.  Taking off from our 2300 feet runway with highways on each side, the Comanche performed better than ever with its maximum turbo power.

After a week or so, the Comanche told the mechanic that he was SOOOOO happy with the new engines.  There was just a little problem, it was like impossible to lower the Manifold Pressure unless the throttle was pulled way back.  But besides that, he was so happy with an incredible power update.

The mechanic suspected something.  He went to th eplane and saw both turbo levers at full pressure.  He asked the Comanche:

- After a flight, why do you put the turbo lever at max for parking?

- What levers?

- Those ones

- I never touch those.  Never. I don't know what they are for, so i never touch a button or a lever that i don't know what it is for.

Both engines are now removed as per Lycoming instruction for overboost, and they went away, again, to the shop.  Probably some arguing will come for who will pay that bill

Louis
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 11:43:15 AM by Louis »

TreeTopFlyer

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »
LIMITATIONS FROM PLACARD

Takeoff (1 MIN) 3500-15000 MAP 27.5 3400 RPM
METO 3500-18000 Map 28.0 3000 RPM
METO 18000-22000 MAP 26.0 3000 RPM
METO 22000-25000 MAP 25.0 3000 RPM

Fuel Boost Pumps on above 10000 MSL

Manually wasted gated so YOU adjust and DON'T OVERBOOST!

Louis

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
Thanks !!

Louis