General Category > Helio Modifications

Wright Air Service STC (Injection System)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Doug Johnson:
 I believe Wight air deserve the credit for putting a working fuel injection system on the Helio and developing the STC but....

I'm pretty sure the first IGO-480-A1B6 was Helio c/n 1501 a H-295B which after removal of the fuel injection was used to build c/n 1458.

Helio Dropped dropped their H-295B (1500 series) beause of low RPM problems but it appears that Republic Seabee figured out the problem.

Interestingly c/n 1458 was purchased by AL Wright  in 1978 and they went on to install several fuel injection systems using 337s and Field approvals. I think the first was c/n 1454. It appears, that it wasn't until using 337s became so difficult, that they developed the STC.

Also interesting is that the fuel injection system used on Wrights first conversion on c/n 1454 was identical to the one used on a a Republic RC-3 Seabee and the 337 lists that.

I think because of prior work by the Helio factory that when you put a fuel injection on a Helio H-295 You are converting it to a H-295B and the STC and other paperwork should reflect that, but thats MY opinion.

see http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1087.msg4383#msg4383

http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1114.msg4422#msg4422

Doug Johnson:
I just thought of something Louis' Helio C-GZZL c/n 1263 is probably the best Helio in the fleet, even better now.

It was repaired using an H-800 crash/cage fuselage and wings automatically upgrossing it to 3800lbs and using the wings with the Stainless carry though and improved upper attach bolts makes it stronger and eliminates the carry through AD. I've always thought it was a shame this wasn't offered as an option to address the carry through AD.

My main thought was Helio Enterprises inc when building the H-7/800 gave some serious thought to building a model H-600 with a GO-480 engine than a 300hp IO-540.

SO C-GZZL with the newer crash/cage fuselage would have been converted to an H-600  and with the fuel injection would now be a one of a kind model H-600B.

c/n 1289 was also converted to a H-600.

Louis:
Thanks for the good words for GZZL.  As you said , it is good as is for 3800 pounds.  And the fuselage and wings are the same as the 4000 pounds H-800 (3800 on landing).  But it is not approved for 4000 since the power ratio and landing gear is the one of a 295.

A lot of work had to be done also on the frame by Mr. Noe to remove some steel box that were there to receive a tricycle gear configuration.   Probably with the same composite legs that were used for the tailwheel configuration.  My understanding is that the front wheel landing gear was never designed so there had never been such a tricycle configuration.  Except for that modified 700 amateur build that was so fun to look at.  So these steel parts were removed from the 800 frame to get rid of the useless weight. Returning the frame to a 295 frame.

Louis

Kevin Dunn:
Louis,

If I remember right, Ken (the guy you reference as Mr. Noe!) said it was around 30 pounds of steel that he removed off the cage of your airplane. I agree with Doug on this one, probably the best example in the fleet!

Kevin

Louis:
If you know Ken, please say hello to him from me

Louis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version