Author Topic: Mods:  (Read 7057 times)

Doug Johnson

Mods:
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
I made a few mods to Helio #1233

Two that Worked well for me was a strobe on top of the tail that looked good and an electric cockpit adjustable aileron trim tab.

I could never get my aileron trim tab adjusted for all speeds so I found an STC'ed trim tab for (if I remember correctly one of the Beech craft models) and put it on my left wing which seemed to be my heavy wing at slow speeds I put a spring loaded three position center off rocker switch on the yoke and mounted the servo inside and ahead of the  hinge line rebalanced the aileron and did the 337 for it on my particular airplane. I was told later that I could adjust the rigging of the wing to make it unnecessary.

When I did my airworthiness inspection (the airplane was brought back from Guyana and had never had one) the inspector took exception to a red strobe that had replaced the red rotating beacon. He wanted either the rotating beacon replaced or the strobe placed on top of the tail.

So I made a mold from the plastic cap on the tail and made a fiberglass replacement. I then modified the fiberglass cap to accept a Red plastic lens similar to car tail light and put a strobe under that. Looks good works well and best of all was approved by the inspector. Did 337 later to keep everyone happy.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:28:56 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

greatlakeshelio

Re: Mods:
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
Lew Beck now owns this airplane and he bought it from Jay Harrison in Spokane, WA

Nice Helio

Gerald Jordan

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
Hi Doug
I am curious about the rigging adjustment needed so the helio will fly at all speeds without aileron trim.
My plane at the moment is flying level hands off but has the right aileron that is deflecting up a few degrees. I am wondering if this can be corrected.
Any help?
Gerry

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I was told by Jim Danish that there is a way to shim at the wing root to correct this. In my Case the trim tab was bent almost straight up. I would be inclined to believe that if that tab is only bent up a little and that and plane flies Level at all speeds (which mine didn't) the it wouldn't be worth all the time and trouble it would take to rerig the plane.

But Jim Danish or one of the guru's would really be the one to ask.

Doug
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:31:19 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Gerald Jordan

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »
Hi Doug.
Thank you. I will give him a call when I get back home on the 2nd of May. I was told he prefers a phone call to an e-mail.
Gerry

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
rear seat comb cargo net
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
Inertia reel shoulder Harness
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:20:57 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug