Author Topic: Airspeed Indicator Needed  (Read 6611 times)

dtreid

Airspeed Indicator Needed
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:54:24 PM »
Does anyone happen to have a Helio airspeed indicator that they'd like to sell?

Leads are appreciated.

paullapoint

Re: Airspeed Indicator Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »
While talking to Jaars this summer, they recommended an airspeed indicator designed for helicopters because of greater accuracy at slow speeds. ???   Paul

dtreid

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »
I'm after one with the markings in the proper spots.

Gordon Cragg

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »
I have an overhauled United Airspeed indicator. Do you have the 3800# gross weight?
Gordon Cragg
713-502-7274

dtreid

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »
IYZ is just the 3000 lb gross weight

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:47:14 AM »
I went to Aircraft spruce and specialty ordered an airspeed indicator that offered good response at low air speeds and paid to have the Helio
air speed markings applied.

check out the attached PDF file
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:49:15 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Gordon Cragg

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:41:52 PM »
My airspeed is marked for the Brent STC @3800#.
Sorry.
Gordon Cragg

airshiptv

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »
JAARS installed "helicopter" airspeed indicators in our two Helios a few years back.  The expanded low end is helpful for STOL operations.  There seems to be a 5-10 knot error at cruise, reads lows.  With GPS its not much of an issue in cruise.  We still find that "seat of the pants" is the best slow speed indicator.  We did swap out our VASI with IVASI, I'm I getting that right?,  when we first got our planes and that is helpful.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
I believe you mean VSI and IVSI for Instantaneous Vertical Speed Indicator I put in an electronic digital vertical speed indicator which was a lot cheaper and almost instantaneous. I agree they are much better once you get used to them.

I thought I would elaborate on my VSI  I installed it was called a microENCODER a multifuction instrument Encoding altimiter so whatever it was showing is what ATC was seeing. It showed airspeed and because it had an outside temp probe it also at the flip of a switch showed true airspeed. And it had a Variometer which showed your up or down speed again it wasnt quite instantaneous there was a slight lag so the digital numbers were readable. Most gliders have the mechanical Istantaneous VSI and the needle seems to be constanly twitching.

Because of the true airspeed, density altitude function and true airspeed merelyby flipping a swith I believe it was a fantastic instrument the encoder featuer that allowed you to know what your encoder was telling ATC. Another feature was an altitude alert but I never used it because I wasn't usually flying at assigned altitudes.

The micro encoder was intended to be a backup to your other air ref instruments and it was suggested you only replace the VSI. Ahortly after installation I went a slightly different route once I became used to it and used it as my primary altitude airspeed and vertical speed instrument and eventually replaced my 3 - 3" instruments with 2-1/4" instruments. From picture below I put all 2-1/4'' instruments in 172

I put the miro encoder together myself and since it replaced the blind encoder hooked to my transponder it had to be certified and tested by an Avionics shop

This instrument was available preassembled but was around $1000. Not many were built for that reason and is no longer available.

I believe the micro encoder was removed from c/n 1233 I believe they didn't understand its legality. It was completely legal.

at bottom of this post owner mfg parts http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=530.msg2829#msg2829

another write up on microENCODER at bottom http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=294.msg1206#msg1206

Full size of micro ENCODER below (gear function replaced by other alerts Flaps etc)

The panel below is a non or Asymetric U-10D panel which Larry Mongomery preferred because of blind spot on 1400s right side while sitting in leftt seat. Also has modified yoke

below was my panel with the microEncoder

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:46:25 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug