Author Topic: c/n 5, VT-DTY  (Read 1857 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 5, VT-DTY
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:09:11 AM »
No picture check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about VT-DTY or anything click on   http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search  Enter ?

c/n 5, built 04/64 as AU-5B for USAF s/n (63-8072) original registry N10035 struck off charge released 06/64, King-Hurley Research Group (CIA front co) DC 05/64, Corsair Air Serv co FL *conversion to AU-5B configuration with 10" chord airfoil between the engines install Lyc IO-540-C2C with Rajay/Riley turbochargers STC*, install oxygen system & 90 gal ferry tank in middle seat position with 81.8 gal usable 62.1 allowable and removable 52 gal wing tip tanks until 06/65, Marathon Aviation corp FL (CIA), reg cancelled 08/65, export to Thailand ferry from Norwood MA Northeast US border ?, reg 10/65 VT-DTY Charbatia Air Base India, operated in cooperation with Govt India Aviation Research Center (ARC) in and on Tibet borderfate unknown but has not survived until present

As always any further information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 01:39:54 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

Re: c/n 5, VT-DTY
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:57:47 AM »
I found some pictures we can call c/n 5 since I haven't found any pictures of a twin with a military serial number or an India registry.  I guess these 4 pictures can be N10035

Unless someone is sure I'm wrong, and since they only had the USAF roundel from 04/64 until 06/64 when they were turned over to the CIA front co King Hurley research. I will call this Helio N10035

Edit: those pictures don't have the Airfoil between the engines so they are A model at the time of the photos. 1,2,3, and 4 were converted to B model with 10" chord airfoil between the engines these photos are not 5,6, or 7 which were built as B models with the airfoil between the engines

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 01:49:11 AM by Doug Johnson 1 »

JamesCaird

Re: c/n 5, VT-DTY
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »
Hi Guys-  Those photos look like they were taken at Canton, Mass (The Home of the Helio)  The Twins were built there.  I think I was in high school when my father showed them to me.  He worked for Helio from the very beginning at Wiggins Airways converting the Piper Vagabond into that first Helio and then continued on with Helio until his death in 1972.   

On another subject- I am wondering if the main gear legs and the shock absorbers on the Twins were the same(or did they beef them up) as on the 295's.  Anyone care to comment?  What was the gross weight of the Twin?  Many thanks/  Bob Wallace

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 5, as N10035
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 01:28:29 AM »
Helio twin #5 is the only twin I don't have any pictures at all not even a questionable photo, I had completely forgotten and was mixing up 3 and 5 and like I mentioned before I was hoping to come up with some twin photos here at air History or here where I found a bit more about the ferry flt from Norwood MA at the Malta site.

http://www.aviationinmalta.com/CivilGeneralAviation/Deliveries/PropsTurboprops/tabid/875/language/en-US/Default.aspx

or here https://www.airhistory.net/original-type/750/Helio-H-250-295-391-392-395-700-800-Courier-L-24-U-10

The Malta site shows the Aircraft Ferry Corp. as pilot on this Twin Helio #5 as well as twin Helio Twin Helio #3 is 1st to refuel at Malta on 06/'65. #5 refuels 07/65 as the 2nd to Twin Helio to refuel at malta

The Malta site also shows a ferry route from Boston, Torbay, Santa Maria, Valencia to/Beirut which seems like kind of a confusing route to take to get to Malta the ferry permit shows final destination as Thailand  another 4000 miles to Thailand and even the final destination of Charbatia an Air Base in Eastern India which is 2700 miles but it got sorted out with BW's help.

The Atlantic crossing route on all of the 5 twin helios, is Torbay to Santa Maria the shorter southern route, with 2500 mile range, turbocharged twin engines and equipped with oxygen to flyover most weather it seems to be the logical route.

sorted the route; using BW's info
Boston,
Torbay, (Newfoundland near St Johns)
Santa Maria, (island in the Azores, close to San Miguel) ‚Äč
Valencia, (Spain)
Luqa, (Malta)
Beirut, (Lebanon)
should be a stop between Beirut and Thailand
Thailand, maybe Udorn
Charbatia Air Base, India

see BW's post below

Torbay is Newfoundland near St Johns.  Santa Maria is island in the Azores up close to San MIguel (which is now the major airport) Valencia, Malta, Bierut all are fine.  Seems like there must have been another stop somewhere between Beirut and India. For Thailand in those days the big Helio/CIA/ Etc operational base was Udorn (Udorn Thani) which is in the north of Thailand about 30 miles (maybe) from Vientiene, Laos.  Back to North India not too far back across Burma and Bangladesh.  I have been to most of those SE Asia (and India - Bangladesh)places for one reason or another.

They departed from Norwood, Mass. (rather than Canton one mile away)  because that was where the fuel, paved runways and the paperwork were located.
Cheers BW

for more ferry info go here https://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1195.msg8334;topicseen#msg8334
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 11:16:20 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug