Author Topic: c/n 1430, VH-KTY  (Read 5813 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 1430, VH-KTY
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:48:32 AM »
7 pictures check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about VH-KTY or anything click on   http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search  Enter ?

c/n 1430, built 04/70 as model H-295, original registry N6476V 04/70, Aviation Center inc (?) install 148 gal ferry tank dereg export 07/70, P.T. Russell  Melville Heights W/A  rereg VH-KTY Australia 07/70 at Perth by Peter Russell Dalkeith W/A accident hard landing damaged fuselage center section of tail cone @ Leonora W/A 08/70, accident the wing struck a tree @ Twin Peaks W/A 06/71, sold 05/74, Philip Russell, Dalkeith W/A sold 09/75, Hawker de Havilland, Lidcombe, NSW sold 06/76, Percheron Transport pty ltd North Sydney NSW sold 09/76, Hawker de Havilland Yagoona NSW sold 01/77, Civil Flying Services pty ltd Cheltenham VIC sold 08/78, Ian Baillie Cheltenham VIC sold 11/79, Victor Luck Cooroy QLD sold 02/85, Edims pty ltd (Phillip Dulhunty) Wyong NSW placed on floats at unknown time by unknown person accident the floatplane took-off from a coastal lake in strong gusting winds associated with passing squalls. As the aircraft approached the coast, and flew over the beach at low altitude, it descended until the left float struck the top of a wave. The aircraft nosed over into the ocean and began to sink. The pilot and passenger managed to evacuate the semi submerged aircraft without injury. The pilot subsequently reported that, after taking off toward the south into the strong wind, he had to turn left at low altitude to avoid a small hill adjacent to the shore. The aircraft had then probably encountered windshear on the downwind side of the hill, which resulted in the unintended loss of altitude and subsequent contact with the water @ 1080 beach off Narooma 41km South of Moruya NSW 03/97, destroyed by surf, registration cancelled 08/99

As always any further information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 01:29:06 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 1430, VH-KTY
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »
edited final accacident original information float equipped A/C made a successful emergency landing in ocean near beach

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1997/aair/199701208.aspx

accident the floatplane took-off from a coastal lake in strong gusting winds associated with passing squalls. As the aircraft approached the coast, and flew over the beach at low altitude, it descended until the left float struck the top of a wave. The aircraft nosed over into the ocean and began to sink. The pilot and passenger managed to evacuate the semi submerged aircraft without injury. The pilot subsequently reported that, after taking off toward the south into the strong wind, he had to turn left at low altitude to avoid a small hill adjacent to the shore. The aircraft had then probably encountered windshear on the downwind side of the hill, which resulted in the unintended loss of altitude and subsequent contact with the water @ 1080 beach off Narooma 41km South of Moruya NSW 03/97, destroyed by surf
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:21:48 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:05:48 AM »
Added 2nd and 4th photos above. The second photo was probably taken shortly after first accident and the fourth photo is in color
Doug

Louis

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
I like the HF antennas.   It does mean business in the far outback

Doug Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 03:56:03 AM »
Louis, I noticed at least 1 photo in Alaska that had a High frequency antenna but it was the trailing type and it was in the stowed position of course. You have to admit HF antennas add little beauty to the A/C but they do indicate they travel in areas where extremely long range communication is needed. I wonder If they use the trailing type in AK because of ice and snow? Seems like the trailing type would be kind of a pain, reeling it in would be one more thing to add to your landing check list.

I think time has moved on and everyone I know uses satellite cell phones at least for the last few years
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:13:13 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Louis

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 06:04:49 AM »
There is a fellow here, well in fact almost a friend even if i should not admit it, that is accused of terrorism because one of these reel up antenna.  He is accused of having cause a major hydro electrical power outage that did have effect on Quebec and some power outage to north of New York state.  He have a long history of winning and loosing in court against the national Hydro electricity compagny.  He hates them because they go on his property to maintain the powerline without passing on the right track.  He did win some court cases against them.  But now he is accused of having flown between the guard line ( the steel wire that is around 60 feet higher taht the power line ) and the power line with a reeling antenna full of welding wire causing such a disaster on a 750000 volts power line.

When he was finnaly released from prison waiting for the criminal court after a couple of months, the state owned hydro power compagny hitted back with a 28 million civil suit.

Strange story that had let us perplex on what the heck could had really happened.  I suppose that we will know more in the future, but for now, all the court story have a ordonnance of no publishing.  So we don't know anything for sure.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-pilot-accused-of-intentionally-damaging-high-tension-power-lines-1.3099386

http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060020352
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:16:19 AM by Louis »

Ravens

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 12:11:03 AM »
Thanks, Doug!!  As always, you have assembled a very interesting history for this Helio, c/n 1430.  And thank-you, Louis, for the links and story about the pilot in Quebec who had the long standing feud with the Hydro company.  I found that very interesting, as well.  I hadn't heard about that fellow and the attacks on the high voltage lines.

Recently, two months ago on Oct. 28-29th, I experienced a power failure for over 24 hours in Northeastern Pennsylvania, in Bloomsburg, PA.  Our area had the longest lasting power failure.

The culprit was the infamous Army NORAD JLENS runaway rogue blimp which passed very low over our area dragging about 4200' of 10" diameter heavy tether cable over the high power lines.  The power lines shorting out and causing big, loud sparking explosions were quite intense!  The 'Aerostat' blimp's tether missed my car by about 60 meters or so.  The blimp passed over at about 150-200'' above ground level.  It pulled down high voltage lines very close by.  I was even interviewed on the nightly news as a witness.  I just learned that the Army owes about $200 million for all of the damage their rogue blimp caused.  It's amazing there were no injuries or deaths! 

I had a wire 'sense' antenna for the old ADF on my Maule for many years, running from the vertical stab to the top of the center of the cabin.  The thick old rusty spring that the sense antenna wire connected to at the mounting hardware at the front of the vertical stab must have done its job to let the wire flex some, instead of breaking, --because the ADF wire antenna never broke or pulled out in 11 years.  And I'm sure it was in place for many years before I owned the Maule.  The plane was in plenty of snow and ice conditions in the North and was tied down outside for many winters.  I remember bouncing off of the long ADF antenna wire sometimes while clearing snow off of the Maule with a brush or broom. 

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://rpdefense.over-blog.com/tag/jlens/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjVmbrk4_PJAhUP5mMKHSV1AcoQFghEMAg&sig2=DeSvv1eXk1Uei_txUCGNCg&usg=AFQjCNFtJfMa_uR3cfRkwOy8OZlbaUl9zg
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:37:55 AM by Ravens »

Doug Johnson

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
I just ran across a photo that I had seen before but was never able to identify, but this one has a caption #1430 VH-KTY Rathmines, NSW in 1989 ten years before the accident in which it was destroyed.

I tried doing a search for the number on the float thinking it might be a Coast Gaurd registry or something but didn't come up with anything.

I will open in the photo queue just before the accident photo
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 01:35:56 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug