Author Topic: Fuel Sump Drains  (Read 8218 times)

ONIONFARMER

Fuel Sump Drains
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »
My plane only has the fuel drain beneath the engine.  Is there a problem putting individual sumps on each of the 4 fuel tanks?
Cessna style with the cocks?  Seems like a lot of opportunity to get problem fuel with a delay in finding it.  If I got fuel with water when topping off an outside tank, I wouldn't know it in time.

Ken Berger

Re: Fuel Sump Drains
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »
This is actually a very interested question.  When I bought my long range wings, there was a set of sump drain fittings that appear to be factory in the fittings bag that came with the wings.  I have installed them and used them since.  Yet, I have been unable to find any factory part number in any of the literature for the part. 

I have also seen seemingling identical drains on two other helios, whose owners seemed to believe that they are factory parts as well.  I'll try to remember to take pictures of the parts and post a photo.  It would be a bit tricky to make without having the specs or a sample.

These are obviously a very good idea to have.  I now suspect that these were an option that the factory offered.
Ken

Louis

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »
My 295 is installed as per Helio drawing.  On the outside long range tank, a fuel drain valve is installed under the wing.   At the same pickup as the fuel vent. Number 32 being a quarter turn valve.

Louis

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:06:31 PM by Louis »

Louis

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
Another drain is also present on the electric transfer fuel pumps.  Being part of it and closed with a locking wire.   I drain these only once a year, or anytime  if i discover a good amount of water in the regular underwing drain  ( happened once because i did not  close well the fuel cap by letting the small chain outside, breaking the seal of the O ring).  Water in the transfer pump did become ice and prevented the pump from working.

Louis
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:08:08 PM by Louis »

ONIONFARMER

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
Thanks Ken and Louis,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond-and thanks for the diagram.
Alan

Louis

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
Drain valve installed on inner wing.  Don't know about paperwork for this one

Louis

ONIONFARMER

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »
Good Picture.

I took the inspection cover off on my plane where your drain is placed.  The plumbing is there where it goes into the cabin.  Looks like on illustration that the drain would catch some water or contaminants but is not a true tank sump.  What I mean is that some fuel tanks with sumps are molded with a low, outward bulge with the drain affixed there.  Does anyone know if some of the tanks were manufactured this way or if the drains are only in the plumbing?  In any case, any drain is better than no drain or sump, especially when operating out in the bush using 5 gallon jugs, etc.

Louis

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
I don't see how you could keep the same rubber blader and install a real sump drain.  You would have to change your bladders for new ones with an outward bulge molded in.

May be that is why our drain reservoir is so big.

Louis

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:05:21 PM by Louis »

Doug Johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »
My Helio had the same drains shown in the picture except it had Cessna style valves. I had to put all new fuel bladders in. I thought that was going to be a problem but it turned out that other planes use the same fuel bladder. there was a question about the bladders having or not having the built in sumps we replaced the bladders with ones not having the built in sumps but don't remember the details. Seems to me that if you were starting new like me, and if you could get bladders with sumps with all the plumbing holes that matched it would be worth per-suing. My new bladders had an extra hole that we had to put a pipe plug in. I had a terrible time getting my bladders sealed. why do they put the installation hole in the bottom instead of the top is there a reason? I discovered that it's important to torque the cover screws and its extremely hard to find those same screws we reused the old screws and discovered a couple that were just 1/16th" to long and were causing part of my leaking problems. Most of my bolts and screws were in coffee cans, it was a miserable and time consuming job sorting them all out and making sure that they were that right length and size, it's amazing how many bolts and scews an aiplane has especilly when the're all in cans. We also used that bees wax sealer between the covers and the bladders. I sure wish I'd had access to a web site like this at the time. By The time we fixed all the little squawks and some not so little. its a wonder the plane made it to Anchorage from  Spartenberg, SC. I't was leaking fuel all the way had a wonderful time cleaning off the fuel stains in fact we wound up getting a rattle can and painting over the worst ones. I'm rambling, enough.

Doug

Doug
Doug