Author Topic: c/n 1233, N6463V  (Read 2957 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 1233, N6463V
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:43 AM »
We've finally reached the Helio I know the most about since I reassembled it from a bunch of parts and owned it for 7 years before passing it on to a new owner.

1233 is the last Helio before the U-10D contract began.

16 picture check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about N6463V or anything click on  http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search  Enter ?

c/n 1233, built 12/66 as model H-295 original export registry VP-GCJ Factory install litter door British Guiana Defense Force called Rudolph (because of red prop spinner) transfer 01/67, re-reg as 8R-GCJ Guyana Defense Force (Police) until withdrawn from use '?, stored Port Kaituma Airstrip until '79, imported to USA as c/n 1233 by Anthony Tirri (B&B Vinyards) NJ sold '82, reg N146LM (for John 14:6 L)arry Montgomery SC [(Larmont Aviation) kept with intent to be a personal Helio but incomplete when sold] install trapezoidal 1400 series rear windows dorsal fin (logs lost) sold '94, rereg N295DJ Doug Johnson AK reassemble and refurbish with 1400 series individual seats new interior floor to headliner IFR instrument panel with padded glare shield with green panel illumination lts install red strobe in aerodynamically faired lens on top of rudder fin installed cockpit adjustable electric aileron trim tab install 24v Jasco Alternator (same as c/n 1232) sold '01, rereg N6463V (registry previously used c/n 1423) Jay Harrison WA (2nd Helio of 2) new paint scheme & placed on PK 3500 floats sold '10, Lew Beck Big Lake AK and Utah installed new instrument panel placed back on wheels donated 8/16, to Kevin Dunn's organization S.O.A.R. In Bolivar, MO. They will use it to train missionary pilots
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdMOZRL7bIs&NR=1

Post about mods, trim tab and red strobe on tail http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=128.msg512#msg512

My Brother Dale Johnson loaned me half of the money to buy the c/n 1233 project and was also on the registry. When I picked the registry number I told him I picked 295 because that was the model and DJ because that was his initials dissapointingly it only took him a moment to realize those were my initials also.

There is some speculation that after the British Guyana Defense Force removed c/n 1233 from service, it was surplused to The "Jim Jones Koolaid Cult" because c/n 1233 and c/n 1282 were stored at Port Kaituma Airstrip which is sometimes referred to as the Jim Jones Airpark.
There were also some deaths associated with the cult at the Airport. I was unable to verify anything but the fact that the two Helios were at the Airport.
If they had been given to the cult when the possesions of the Cult were disposed of after the mass suicide pact, c/n 1233 and c/n 1282 reverted back to The Guyana Police Commisioner who sold them to Anthony Tiri.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:31:57 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »
Doug

Jason Stephens

Re: c/n 1233, N6463V
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »
Looks like #1233 is up for sale on Barnstormers.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »
Barnstormers add

Helio H-295

HELIO H-295 • $139,900 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • H-295, N6463V, C/N 1233. Currently hangared in Willow, AK and on PK 3500 floats. AFTT 2,862.4, GO-480-G1D6 779.0 SFOH, 762.4 SPOH. Gear/Wheels included with sale. Recent panel upgrades including JPI EDM 930. Has LH utility Door, Fuel Steps and Handles. Recent carry through inspection. Ready for the summer season. Please call for complete details Gordon Cragg 713-502-7274 • Contact Gordon E. Cragg - SKYWAY AIR, LLC, Broker - located Georgetown, TX USA • Telephone: 713-502-7274 . • Posted March 29, 2016
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
Just received this;

c/n 1233 was donated to Kevin Dunn's organization S.O.A.R. In Bolivar, MO. They will use it to train missionary pilots.
It is going to a good home.

MY opinion with the depressed airplane market Lew made the best deal he could, in his income bracket he probably will do almost as good, maybe a little better than a sale.

I also believe S.O.A.R. just got a big freebie they will fly it for three years and when the engine is close to being run out. Then they will sell it and place the money in their general fund.

It also seems kind of counter productive to use it for pilot training unless they have other Helios because to use it properly you have to teach a pilot to fly so much differently.

So if Hillary doesn't get in and you can wait three years until they are able to sell it, maybe you can pick up a nice, reasonably priced Helio.

Just offering my opinion and saying what I think...
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »
Well, I must have been in a bad mood when I made the previous post if I could delete it I probably would.

Kevin Dunn seems to be a pretty nice guy, but I'm still not that crazy about big tax write offs. Maybe because I'm not able to benefit from them, you think?  With Trumps new tax plan will big charitable donation write offs go away?

Here are a couple pictures taken at Oshkosh '17, The Burgundy paint looks like it has faded some, I wonder what the interior looks like, I notice that the red strobe I put on top of the tail was removed, I heard the fared in lens was cracked but the mold to make a new one is still available, Gordon Cragg was thinking about installing the same thing but never did he felt field approvals were just to difficult to deal with. I also see the cockpit adjustable trim tab was removed and the radio antennas were relocated back on the tail cone.

Seems a shame to me as far as the red strobe on the tail, I had it wired directly to the battery master and as soon as the master was turned on it began to flash I thought it was a nice safety feature much like most other heavy equipment and commercial jets. It indicates something is about to move or in this case the prop is going to spin, and if you left the battery master on you might notice it flashing as you started to walk away. It also replaced the red wart sitting on the rear of the tail cone. The aircraft was already legal for collision avoidance with the three strobes one on each wing tip and the strobe on the rear.

Removing the cockpit adjustable aileron trim also seems to me to be wrong, unless you are going to install an autopilot wing leveler. With the cockpit adjustable trim tab you can trim to a heading when flying with a cross wind, it helps make the flying less demanding. The cockpit adjustable trim tab is sometimes called the poor mans autopilot.

Relocating the antennas whatever, they were relocated to the best spot possible much better than side by side on top of the cockpit, I thought the Helio looked better without antennas sticking up there was a little less drag by installing helicopter bent whip antennas in the wing tips and for me it made cleaning snow off the aircraft easier. I had a Terra 3200 transceiver radio I believe it was 13 watts transmit and a King KY 96 or 196 transceiver radio which was 10 or 16 watts transmit, I don't remember which. So the small amount of reflected RF transmission loss wasn't that big of a thing. Most aircraft flying around only have about 5 watt transceivers. These radios are 24 volt so one more reason to have a 24 volt system.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:37:46 AM by Doug Johnson 1 »