Author Topic: c/n 1220, HC-BFL  (Read 1808 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 1220, HC-BFL
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
5 picture check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about HC-BFL or anything click on  http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search  Enter ?

c/n 1220, built 02/67 as model H-295 original registry N6350V Great Lakes Helio [(Bruce Taylor) (a Division of Taylor Electric Inc) (Phillip Taylor)] MI sold 05/69, Intermar of MI (Gerald Harmon & Herbert Schott ) & Berar Associates (?) MI approved for sky diving moved battery to eng compartment sold '71, Paul Stentz MI sold '72, Intermar of Michigan (Gerald Harmon & Herbert Schott) sold '73, Dallas Universal Distributing Co TX accident engine failed after losing manifold pressure during normal cruise the aircraft collided with wires while attempting an emergency landing on a road, with glare from the sun being a factor @ Mt Pleasant TX 12/73 sold '74, Arnold Thompson UT sold '77, P.B. Odom OK sold '78, dereg export HC-BFL Ecuador Mision Salesiana, Servicio Aereo Regional ciao ltda (REGAIR) Macas, Ecuador converted to 1400 series trapezoidal rear windows at some point in time,

currently for sale 60K Bournemouth, England but believed to still be in Ecuador  

U-Tube film '12        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSH9YzG44xc              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGpSfU8n38"

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:00:55 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 1220, HC-BFL
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
added a couple pics the 1st and 5th
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:53:50 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »
I'm posting three photos the third one has no registry mark can't tell whether it was removed physically or digitally.

The photo wasn't taken in England but is supposed to now be in England, also still haven't found if the for sale price of 60k is pounds or dollars.

I have sent out some emails trying for clarification on a few things no response at present time.

But this bit below is how I believe the history paragraph should read;

sold '78,  (at some point A/C convered to 1400 series trapezoidal rear windows) to Roman-Catholic mission group Rochester NY, dereg export as HC-BFL Ecuador Mission Salesiana sold '14, Servicio Aereo Regional ciao ltda (REGAIR), Shell, Ecuador sold '14, dereg '16 now located Bournemouth, Dorcet, England, HC-BFL mark removed but G-reg ntu yet, Currently for sale by Fly With Me Aviation, for $60K/€53,725 at Bournemouth, Dorcet, England

the photo below (not taken in England) registry mark removed  G-reg ntu yet pending ?.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:20:57 PM by Doug Johnson 1 »

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »

gearedone

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »
This broker clearly has no concept of what he is selling. He knows nothing of the airplane. I flew this Helio when it was brand new in Michigan with Bruce Taylor and ended up putting 175 hours on it before it went to the paint shop.

It had the 24 volt power supply, ramp hailer, Narco MK 24 with audio panel, DME, X-ponder and external power plug.

Goodyear X-wing gear, 120 gallon fuel. When it was flown in from the factory it had no paint, all metal finish and Black anti-glare panel. I flew it to Bedford, MA for a dealer meeting where we met up with Bob Kimnach, Harry A Wheeler Jr. and Lynn Bollinger, spent the weekend in a pristine lodge in Upstate New York, and then flew to Alan Bemis's farm.

It was never an HT-295, Helio 700, or anything else other than a H-295.
Slow Flight in Helio interests everyone, "Fly it like you STOL it"

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:00:49 AM »
Stephen,
I am curious why this Helio was special ordered with a 24 volt system. Or are you just talking about a power supply for some particular piece of equipment? It doesn't show up in the FAA file. The only Helios that I knew of that had a 24 volt system were the military ones mostly starting with the U-10Ds c/n 1234 and a few U-10Bs most of those were converted to 12 volts when converted back to H-295 or h-395 configuration. I converted to the 24 volt system because there were a lot of advantages to the 24 volt system but when I contacted Jasco about doing it they only knew of a one other that had been converted to 24 volts, and by chance it was the one built just before mine 1232.

175 hrs? 20,000 miles? I suppose it's possible it was with Taylor for two years before they sold it.

And why do you care if the broker is ignorant about the Helio $60K seems like a reasonable price. If the History is accurate, and it only needs a polish.

Fly With Me Aviation,

James Lea
Christchurch, BH23 6NW, United Kingdom
Phone: 0044 7812521645
Web: http://www.flywithmeaviation.com

is asking you to contact them. Send them, an E-mail they would probably appreciate you setting them straight, so they can correct their sales pitch. He's just a guy like yourself trying to make a buck.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:18:48 AM by Doug Johnson 1 »

Kevin Dunn

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »
Doug,

I am curious as to what advantages you see for the 24 volt system over the 12 volt when it comes to Helios.

Kevin

gearedone

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
If you read carefully the factory option list for Helio H-295 Super Courier in 1967, there is a option for 24 volt system, and avionics package, and 3 color paint scheme.

I'm not concerned with FAA records, like looking at Swiss Cheese.

I care that the broker is ignorant, because this airplane has been on the market for Eons, and any attempts at contacting them went unanswered.

The airplane I believe is still in South America somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:24:19 PM by gearedone »
Slow Flight in Helio interests everyone, "Fly it like you STOL it"

paullapoint

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
They don't answer anyone. Not sure why they keep advertising if they don't really want to sell it.    Paul

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 04:33:54 AM »
Stephen,
Do you have a copy of all of the Factory order options available and if so would you post it or send me a copy, If for no other reason to have the info available to anyone interested. It would be helpful for anyone wanting to install that particular option, it makes the paperwork simpler.

I have both the Civilian and the military parts catalogs for the H-295 available to me they are in searchable PDF format so I did a search for 24 V and found the optional instrument avionics package you mention. It first shows up as option in the civilian H-295 parts book and became available on Helio 1293 built 10/68, 1294 and 1295 then 1401 and up.

The 24 V shows up in the military parts book and was available as early as 10/61 on c/n 532 for selected A/C on the U-10A & B's but not the U-10Ds, also mentioned was two 12 volt batteries in series, I assume they did this to make the more common 12V available as well.

My civilian parts book appears to be missing some of the inserts that show up midway through the 1400s, but it covers all the 12 Helios.

I have no civilian parts book for the H-395, so have no idea if 24 V was available on the H-395 but from my own experience with early models of Cessna and Piper it wasn't common until about 1980 and then only in Cessnas at first.

I have nothing on paint but looking at different early paint schemes. I notice most of the early paint schemes before the 1400s seem to be one or two colors so a three colors was probably an option.

So back to the 24 V system on a 1967 Helio, if 1220 had a 24 V system. it was unusual and should have showed up in the FAA file.

I never tried to contact Fly with me aviation I wasn't interested enough. But they had a good number of other aircraft listed, they probably have the Helio listed because it catches peoples attention and draws them to their site.

I googled the listing it comes up several places, on one of the listing it appears to be located in England and appears to have a G-registry pending, but doesn't actually say so.

I have a contact in England I think I will ask him if more information is easily available.

The FAA records may be full of holes but its all we've got with a half way permanent record, without it we would know even less than we do.

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:46:47 AM »
Kevin,
I have to admit if you live GA having 24 V might not be as helpful as living in AK but I still think on a cold January morning
 you might find it to be helpful.

1) The first reason is that you have twice as many available watts. 600 at 12V 1200 at 24V. When using high watt incandescent landing and taxi bulbs this was important to me, because I did a lot of night flying in fall and spring. Even with the lower wattage high intensity bulbs it is significant. Now with Led lights which are all 12 Volt and use even less watts maybe not so much.

2) I never weighed anything But I'm sure especially if you have the battery behind the baggage compartment you will save a couple pounds in being able to use smaller wire, and you won't get as much voltage loss when cranking. Most of the wire to accessories is 16 ga and you can downsize to 18 ga but I don't believe it would save enough weight to be worth the effort.

3) The 24 V starter seems to have a little better torque and less voltage drop when cranking which turns over the engine a little faster and I believe the higher RPM geared engine just starts easier, especially with Hot starts and starts on Cool mornings. Another thing is running the leaded gas when the bottom plugs begin to foul turning the engine over a little faster allow the engine to start easier.

4) I used two medium sized 12 V batteries in series to give more ampere hours and still have an easier to access 12 volt power supply and If you are going to fly using your cell phone to navigate with this is probably more important now I just used it to keep my handheld radio charged up.

5) Another reason I wanted the extra watts is because my Helio had the lower rpm accessory case for the generator instead of alternator and most of the time when taxiing it wasn't charging. If I remember correctly you can change the the gears but it is kind of expensive and the paperwork is a pain.

6) I'm sure I have something else it just spring to the front of my mind.

couple of earlier posts discussing 24 V

http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1304.msg5307#msg5307

http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1298.msg5157#msg5157

http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=548.msg2944#msg2944

Kevin Dunn

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply Doug.  As you said, the wattage increase in the 24V system makes sense for the landing light issue.

Kevin

airshiptv

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Have had a lot of time going over 14 vs 28 volt power.  Bottom line is a 50 amp 28 volt alternator is like having a 100 amp 14 volt alternator.  For us, camera equipment and flying at night, it is a big deal.  No matter what your power draw, it's less stress on the 28 volt alternator. For us it means a 22-25 amp load with 28 volt system vs a 45-50 amp load with a 14 volt system.

andrewstolte

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:51 AM »