Author Topic: c/n 1006, C-FNNB  (Read 3373 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 1006, C-FNNB
« on: March 29, 2015, 05:30:32 AM »
8 picture check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about C-FNNB or anything click on  http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search  Enter ?

c/n 1006, built 06/61 as model H-395A, not registered sold as c/n 1006 St Maurice Air Transport co ltd MA, export reg CF-NNB St Maurice Air Transport co ltd QC returned to factory 11/63, reg N8754R Helio Aircraft corp sold 05/66, rereg CF-NNB St Maurice Air Transport co ltd QC sold '67, ? (possibly Northwest Whirlybirds NT) used for uranium survey placed on Edo 2870 floats accident very hard landing on floats spreader bar broke resulting in being partially submerged with one wing in water @ Cullaton Lake, NT '67, thought to have spent the winter in the Barrens then repaired and flown out spring '68, sold '68, John Buck BC (Northwest Safari Lodge) accident hard landing broke spreader barm @ unknown place time, repaired rereg C-FNNB '74, accident no details @ unknown place time, repaired first known use of a Helio to tow water skiers, placed on Edo 3430 floats sold '03, Paul Collard AB sold '09, Apco Holdings Canmore AB sold '09, Michael Witherell, Sudbury ON, rereg 07/12 placed on floats accident hard landing @ unknown place time, repaired replaced an upper wing fitting, engine mount and 2 bent fuselage tubes, restore poject being repainted expected to be airworthy spring '16

Hopefully Mike will give us a progress report.

Buck Woodside said in a earlier post said he had photos of CF-NNB and pictures of a water skiing event that predates the Waterworld movie. I hope he posts them or sends them to me so I can post them.

Bucks earlier post             http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=742

note the shadow of the removed N-reg (N8754R) still visible

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:30:47 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n 1006, C-FNNB
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:57:45 AM »
Added 2nd photo above, the one with Buck's Camp Logo.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:25:44 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »
Hello Doug,
Reassembly will begin in March 2016. These projects always tend to drag out longer than you think.
The original logs were lost in the first submerge I think. There are 2 serial tags on it. 1961 and 1963. The factory return makes sense now but no idea why.
The refurb got away from me for a while. Slat rebuild, New bladders, float issues, horizontal stab totally rebuilt, strip & paint, prop overhaul, floor boards, interior, upholstery and on and on.....She will be cherry when it is done. Paint similar to #1251.  Hopefully fly her to Oshkosh this summer.
Cheers

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
Mike,
Good to hear that another Helio is returning to the air. 1251 doesn't have my favorite Paint scheme but its far from the being a poor one.

Looking forward to a current picture.
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:32:42 AM »
I just received 6 pictures of CF-NNB from Graeme Faris taken 1967, here is part of the e-mail a nice description of the pictures.

I opened the photos and inserted them somewhat in chronological order above in the first post.

"The picture of CF NNB up on the beach was taken while Barney was trying to determine the source of an oil leak.  The leak occurred shortly after take off and covered the windshield in oil.  Barney landed and was ready to rip my head off for  not tightening the oil filler cap after fueling and servicing the plane between trips.  Luckily for me, the oil filler cap was still in place with the spring clip attached.

The last picture is of CF NNB in the lake.  The landing occurred after an engine failure just after we had passed over the lake.  The survey was flown at an altitude of 100 m  and there was not a lot of glide time for Barney to make a 180 degree turn and get the plane down on the lake.  We sat on the wing for a long time trying to decide who would swim to shore first.

There is a picture that isn’t of CF NNB. It was taken to capture the Beaver aircraft that was brought in to finish the project while CF NNB was being fished out of the lake and put on shore.  As you can see, we were a pretty busy seaplane base in the middle of the barrens."

Hopefully we will get a progress picture from Mike the current owner of c/n 1006, some time soon.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:47:13 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 12:09:57 AM »
c/n 1006, built 06/61 as model H-395A, not registered sold as c/n 1006 St Maurice Air Transport co ltd MA, export reg CF-NNB St Maurice Air Transport co ltd (Gustave Richer) Lac-à-la-Tortue, QC returned to factory 11/63, reg N8754R Helio Aircraft corp sold 05/66, rereg CF-NNB St Maurice Air Transport co ltd (Gustave Richer) QC sold '67, ? (possibly Northwest Whirlybirds NT) used for uranium survey placed on Edo 2870 floats accident very hard landing on floats spreader bar broke resulting in being partially submerged with one wing in water @ Cullaton Lake, NT '67, thought to have spent the winter in the Barrens then repaired and flown out spring '68, sold '68, John Buck BC (Northwest Safari Lodge) accident hard landing broke spreader barm @ unknown place time, repaired rereg C-FNNB '74, accident no details @ unknown place time, repaired first known use of a Helio to tow water skiers, placed on Edo 3430 floats sold '03, Paul Collard AB sold '09, Apco Holdings Canmore AB sold '09, Michael Witherell, Sudbury ON, rereg 07/12 placed on floats accident hard landing @ unknown place time, repaired replaced an upper wing fitting, engine mount and 2 bent fuselage tubes, restore project being repainted expected to be airworthy spring '16