Author Topic: c/n 608, "63-13167"  (Read 933 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n 608, "63-13167"
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:15 AM »
No picture check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Unverified info coming from questionable sources, I'm using orange print

Previous posts about  “63-13167” or anything click on      http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search     Enter ?

c/n 608, built 10/63 as U-10B s/n 63-13167 for US Army/CIA, USAF accepted 10/63, struck off charge released to US Army, code “FDM” (joint CIA/Army special forces) 10/63 (possibly "167" lease to Air America later sent to Royal Laotian forces)

Almost no information found in USAF or US Army files, except that it was built. Nothing in Air America files, except the mention of a contract #167.

Any information on c/n 608 would be greatly appreciated.

How about wild ass guesses (extrapolation from  other information)?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:22:08 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

Re: c/n 608, "63-13167"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:05:43 AM »
Bob Wallace's picture of c/n 608  at Hopewell, NJ it looks like it is still in use as a homeless shelter, which seems to go along with the theme of where it is located.

Bob says;
 "I stopped at the NJ site with the Helios in the woods again. No human beings on site that I could rouse out but, as I said before,  a "dualing banjos" sort of place.  This time I had someone with me to watch my back.  Many sheds and vehicles parked, the airplanes are full of miscellaneous junk.  Earlier I had found one Helio wing laying in the grass.

I noted that both fuselages had their gear legs and oleo struts, wheels and tires. At least one had the tailwheel assembly. One had some original seats inside but pilot door missing.

I also noted that the Carry-Through AD had never been done.  Also no gussets added to gear legs which was another AD.  These have been retired for a long time.  the H-395 is pretty open, crash cage is all rusted.  The other one is closed up with good doors and all, much better shape.  Some incidental damage in top rear of tail-cone but not wrecked, more like something fell on it some time.

The open one is H-395 #608.  Build date 10/1963.  The other is also a H-395 but could find no numbers, data plates removed.  #608 is missing doors and panel.  The other is fairly complete, not wrecked, still has panel and interior.  Neither seemed wrecked but just weathered. These fuselages have been out in the elements for a long time.

Still bears further looking into.  Will investigate further."

Below is my addition to the history paragraph above

, a/c fuselage/crash cage is currently located at Hopewell, NJ wings tail stabilator engine inst panel and doors removed in poor condition

Link to other unidentified Helio click on    http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1309.msg6606;topicseen#msg6606

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:10:59 AM by Doug Johnson 1 »