Author Topic: Flap trim brain box  (Read 3273 times)

391stol

Flap trim brain box
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:50:38 PM »
Does anybody know the gear ratio on the flap gear box?   1 crank 360 degrees is equal to how many revolutions on the output shafts??  Also is the pressure known within the white arc what the average pounds are on the push rods.  Aviously this is based off of speed but roughly within the AC design limits?

391stol

Re: Flap trim brain box
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »
Just checked it on a spare brain box I dug out.    1:1 1 revolution on handle puts out one revolution on the output shafts.  That's why it takes 18 cranks to full flaps. Might have to come up with a better mousetrap for my exp bird

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »
John, We talked about about that, I think your "Johnson Bar Idea" is the way to go with a big trim wheel overhead like the stallion.

Are you still working on that?

Doug
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:28:13 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

391stol

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:14:07 AM »
Looking at electro or hydraulic retrofit for my exp     If electric a different gear ratio and geAr box.  I already located several which would work helio already did this in two different ways but there is a larger selection of gear boxes available now in the exp world.  The beaver uses hydraulic which could be easily duplicated and used in the helio. Just trying to get a flap system which could go full motion in seconds not s minute or less      Johnson bar and cables would work but my cage is all powder coated and welding is not an option for me any more.   Maybe the next one

391stol

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:46:01 AM »
Sorry about the spelling and punctuation these I phones suck.  Can't log on anymore with my computer since the recent upgrades to the site.  No big deal

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 06:03:21 AM »
The spell check function has been turned off for some reason.

Doug
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
I Think putting that fancy of a powder coat on an experimental may have some disatvantages.

You think?

Sure does look nice though. previous post with pictures at

http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search            Enter c/n 068

Doug
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:58:02 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug