Author Topic: STOL tales (Helio flying adventures)  (Read 2158 times)

mrhelio

STOL tales (Helio flying adventures)
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »
If you have something to add here, by all means do it...I'll start with this..)

Greetings to the U-10A community. I flew the U-10A for 7 years for US ARMY Special Forces. I am uploading 3 shots I have of U-10s. Two I flew, one on floats and one in clandestine civilian paint scheme, and one USAF version. The only Government markings on Special Forces planes were small tail numbers on the vertical stabilizer.// I did instrument landings at night to touchdown jon lakes with the floatplane, operated from state highways at night landing to 5 coke cans with kerosene rags and a guaranteed 5 ft of wingtip clearance from powerlines and trees. Did practice autorotations power off and controls full back to 'dip' flare and landing. Made one vertical take off with brakes locked, 30 mph wind down the runway, landed on mountain mesa strips, flew up narrow canyons and exited doing a 180 degree turn with a 90 degree bank. Whew ! theres more but enough said.// ARMY used them for insertion, extraction, recon, resupply, psyops, message delivery. Being light and fully STOL I have to say (with the exception of the one that quit running at 4000 ft over Macon Ga. Airport just as I got station passage, IFR on top of 500 to 3000 ft cloud base where I kicked rudder and augered at a near spin through the clouds, got ground contact about 500 ft, recovered and glided successfuly onto a runway. Standard configured airplane would not have done what I demanded of that one) all my time in U-10s was sheer pleasure. I should have paid the Army.

mrhelio

Re: STOL tales (Helio flying adventures)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »
The above comments come from Dwight Adams who flew the U-10A for the U.S. Army Special Forces from 1971-77. He was also flying the RU-21H Beech Twin Bonanza electronic communications aircraft in Phu Bai, RVN for a time....Look for his arrival here..)

Helio out..)