Author Topic: Helio flight training  (Read 605 times)

Kevin Dunn

Helio flight training
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
Fellow Helio enthusiasts,

As we all know, in the Lower 48 it is becoming more and more difficult to find a qualified flight instructor for type specific training in a Helio. The next hurdle is finding an airplane that someone will allow you to learn to fly, which can be impossible unless you have a really good friend. For those new to Helios who would like to own one, it pretty much means buying one, and figuring it out as you go. 

In light of that, we at S.O.A.R. are offering N6463V for rent. Cost is $350 an hour/wet/dual only. The instructor cost is also included. We are located in southwest Missouri at M17, Bolivar, MO. 

As for the instructor that would be me.  I have been flying Helios since 1995 when I went to Spartanburg, SC and trained with Larry Montgomery and staff after the mission organization I was with bought N4138D from him.  I flew in Honduras for almost 11 years before coming back to the States. I have over 800 hours of Helio time and have taught several guys to fly theirs including a couple guys that are on this forum.  They are still friends, so it seems to have gone well!

Our thought is to offer the airplane for initial training, recurrent training, Flight Reviews or just the “I have always wanted to log time in a Helio” sort of pilot.  Yes, it could be a crazy idea that bites us in the hind parts, however, we are willing to take a certain amount of risk to open up the world of Helio flying to pilots who might never have the chance.  Let’s face it, none of us do this because it makes sense, we just all have a passion for Helios and keeping them from going away.

I am also and A&P/IA and have maintained the Helios I have flown. If we can help on the maintenance side of things, we are certainly willing to do that also. 

So, if you, or someone you know is interested, have them contact me.

Kevin Dunn
417-777-6800
kevin@soar-m17.org
www.soar-m17.org
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:55:18 PM by Kevin Dunn »

Jason Stephens

Re: Helio flight training
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:30:16 PM »
Great to hear about this Kevin.  Is this a seasonal type of operation or year-round?

Kevin Dunn

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:12:14 AM »
Jason,

The idea is to do it year round.  Weather here in Southwest Missouri is a pretty mild most of the year.  We get a few snow storms each winter and of course lots of rain certain times.  It is certainly milder than most places north of us. 

Thanks for the encouragement.

Kevin

Jason Stephens

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »
Hi Kevin,

What airport is the best to fly into if we fly over commercially?  Thinking about coming over this fall.

Kevin Dunn

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:25 PM »
Jason,

Springfield, MO, KSGF, is the closest that has commercial service and is about a 35 minute drive from Bolivar.  Looking forward to it. 

Kevin

paullapoint

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:59:10 PM »
Is this tax deductible as a charitable contribution ?     Just kidding

Kevin Dunn

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
I wish it could be Paul, might tempt a few more people to head this way!!   

Kevin

paullapoint

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
I'm going to try to get some training from you late in the fall. I have to take the 172 to Mena, AR for a paint job anyway.  Paul

Kevin Dunn

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 09:01:48 AM »
Paul,

Sounds like a plan. Let me know when you get a schedule worked out and we will get you on the calendar.

Kevin

andrewstolte

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »
Today I was able to get some professional instruction from Kevin in 1233.  I have flown my Helio for the last year on amphibious floats and I am planning on going back to wheels in a couple months. Since it has been 15 years since I flew a conventional gear helio, I decided it would be a good idea to get a little dual instruction for a refresher.

The instruction I received was a great experience.  We started out going to a nice grass strip that long and wide to refresh basic Helio operation.  After a few landing and getting the basics back, Kevin asked if I was comfortable trying a more challenging (Helio type strip) to finish the day.  The strip is about 1000 feet long on the side of a hill with trees, house and a pond to make it even more challenging.

I highly recommend flying Kevin, he is a very calm and collected instructor that is very knowledgeable in the Helio..

rmartell

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I have also spoken to Kevin regarding some refresher training.