Author Topic: H-1, H-800  (Read 2235 times)

Doug Johnson

H-1, H-800
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
no picture of N6158W

It is H-1 and it still has the experimental placard in the window. It was placed in experimental category 4/83-10/83 to show compliance with FARs.

I Recently figured out that H-15 was converted to the experimental Jay Jensen turboprop. This allowed me to drop one registry number and made my list match the number of crash-cage/fuselages produced (539 includes stallons and twins) to match the number of last known registry numbers.

Also rumor has it that something incident ? accident ? happened with the hellacious Helio anyone know anything here?

Anyone have a recent picture also rumor has it that it back on a more conventional trailing link Tri gear.

c/n H-15, N6158W
converted to

s/n changed to "1", conversion completed 05/01 as Jensen STOL, TurboCourier (Xpr Home/built) registered as    N700AA (reg previously used on H-15) Xprmtl Helio built by Jay Jensen & Ken Bjork, named “Big Foot”, “Hellacious Helio”, or “ Jensen STOL Turbo Courier”, Experimental Amateur home built (Turbo Courier) under 51% rule, Helio parts, Helio crash-cage/fuselage & Helio wings from c/n H-1 wreck and fabricated parts, airfoil shaped fuel tank wingtip extension with 27 gal in each, carbon fiber ailerons with electric trim, Eng Garrett Honeywell TPE331-6-252M 750 hp, Hartzell HC-B3TN-5M 106” 3 blade prop Jay Jensen & Ken Bjork address 2945 Cave Hollow Way; Bountiful, UT; zip 84010

Doug

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:06:06 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

gearedone

Re: H-1, H-800
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:34:52 AM »
Somewhere the information on H-800 c/n # H-1 has been watered down and is a bit misused. I found an old article that says specifically the airplane was built as a H-700, not an 800 as mentioned in another article written by Budd Davisson. Jay Jensen bought the airplane in Utah and when he acquired it, it was then a stock H-700 turbo.

I will find the article and post it when I do some more sniffing around.

N700AA carried that original registration number when Jay bought it, we talked at great length about this at AirVenture 2004.

Here I am at EAA Airventure 2004 answering a million questions while Jay and Ken went off to the Helio forum hosted by JAARS and Jim Metzler..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:48:28 AM by gearedone »

Doug Johnson

Re: H-1, H-800
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Interesting way to edit my list which I've asked for before. Do you have a current photo of Experimental N700AA s/n 1

I may have done some assuming you think? I had this information below, from FAA files apparently c/n 015 had 2 valid registries until 10/13.

Or did it? IT makes no difference to me if c/n H-1 or H-15 was converted to an experimental but I would like to get it correct.

c/n H-15, built 05/84, model H-700, built as H-700SP (seaplane) export as CP-1966 ntu (Ernesto Asbun) canceled export) Alas Andinas ltd Cochabamba Bolivia sold '85, registered N700AA (reg reused on the Hellascious experimental Helio s/n 1), by Don Love Aircraft sales (dealer) KS sold 04/87, Opticom Research inc (Richard Griot) NV 07/89, Orcas Aircraft leasing inc (Richard Griot) WA 04/92, W.H. Egrstrom ID sold 10/95, Jay Jensen UT accident aircraft made a hard landing on a dry lake bed, which had a soft surface the fiberglass landing gear on the right side snapped at the fuselage attachment point and the left gear appeared to have layer separation and was weakened considerably, the three propeller tips were bent aft and a small portion of the fuselage belly skin was bent and wrinkled, with a small hole punched through it. VFR conditions prevailed, with a temperature of 68 degrees, winds were Southeast, light and variable @ Ogden UT 9/96 replaced fiberglass with aluminum gear legs, rereg 06/01/98 as N6158W Western Aircraft Leasing (Jay Jensen) Bountifal, UT, EDIT expired registration 09/30/2013 Jay Jensen; used to build experimental turboprop N700AA 05/01,

s/n changed to "1", conversion completed 05/01 as Jensen STOL, TurboCourier (Xpr Home/built) reregistered as N700AA

(reg previously used on c/n H-15) Xprmtl Helio built by Jay Jensen & Ken Bjork, named “Big Foot”, “Hellacious Helio”, or “ Jensen STOL Turbo Courier”, Experimental Amateur home built (Turbo Courier) under 51% rule, Helio parts, Helio crash-cage/fuselage H-15 & some fabricated parts, airfoil shaped fuel tank wingtip extension with 27 gal in each, carbon fiber ailerons with electric trim, Eng Garrett Honeywell TPE331-6-252M 750 hp, Hartzell HC-B3TN-5M 106” 3 blade prop Jay Jensen & Ken Bjork Bountiful, UT

When I put the list together c/n H-15 had a valid registry as N6158W apparently you are telling me that c/n H-15 was totally disassembled and enough parts were home built to qualify for reregistration, under the 51% rule, as Experimental Home built. c/n H-15 was never deregistered when it was converted to s/n 1 and registered as N700AA.

You are also telling me that c/n H-1 was scrapped after its accident and is no longer in existence. I will change the list and decrease the the no of  Helios by 1.

Do you know if Jay Jensen bought the H-1 wreck, as I was told. Below is the edit for c/n H-1

c/n H-1, built 03/83 model H-800, originally reg as N4002M built as Model H-800SP (seaplane) with PK 4000 amphib floats placed in experimental research and development category to show compliance with FARs 04/83, sent to Kimmel Aviation (F. Stewart Kimmel) MS placed in experimental for testing development received standard airworthiness certificate 10/83, returned to Helio Aircraft ltd KS 01/84, Helio Northwest Inc (Tom Teufel dealer) OR 03/84, Maynard & Doris Falconer AK dereg export 05/88, dereg export as C-FMQK Driftwood Contracting ltd BC '92, QP Investments ltd BC '98, Driftwood Investments BC '99, dereg export as N4033G John & Joelyn Francis OR 12/03, Schmidt Aviation (Jan Barkley) Boring, OR accident immediately after becoming airborne the pilot realized that he had failed to remove the exterior aileron wing locks. About 75 to 100 feet above ground level (AGL) the pilot reduced power and lowered the nose to maintain airspeed and a wings level attitude. About 75 feet AGL the left wing started to drop slowly and eventually impacted the ground at an approximate 30 to 35o left bank. A post crash examination of site revealed the left and right aileron wing gust locks were located on the ground approximately 10 to 15 feet outboard of their respective wingtips @ Fossil OR 1/04, dbr wreck sold for scrap
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:17:10 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug