Author Topic: Right hand gear leg trade needed  (Read 5373 times)

391stol

Right hand gear leg trade needed
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
I have 2 left hand 250/295 reinforced gear legs but no right hand leg does any body have a right hand leg they want to trade for a left.  No junk

Namaolen

Re: Right hand gear leg trade needed
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »
Hi 391stol,  I'm not trying to trade any of the following with you but thought I would share this as I also have a left leg that was reinforced by someone,  I do have a right that has a small bend in it and looks like someone tried to heat and straighten it with no luck, would you or anyone else know if this right leg is fixable? 

RCarter

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
391Stol,

Might be worth looking around for one of the JAARS adapters allowing for left-right interchangeability of the gear legs.  Other would know more about this than me for sure.  Then again one of those STC'd adapters might cost more than a left gear leg if you can find one.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
attached are a couple 337s on gear legs that might be of help. they didn't convert to PDF files very well. take a look at them if you want a clearer copy let me know, and i will recopy.

Doug
Doug

Louis

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
There is in there some mention about the heat treatment.  I am no mechanic, but i have often heard that the heat treating recipe for the Helio landing gear was not documented.  Thus making it difficult to document a repair.  Is it true ?  If it is, someone might be use to document the heat treatment.

Louis

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
This gear leg heat treatment is in the pdf files I posted previously

Doug

Doug

391stol

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »
The first sheet is the anneal spec back to 4130 normalize so the repair/welding can be done the second sheet is the reheat treat spec 180-200ksi    The leg in the earlier post stating someone heated the bent area to straighten is not a proper technique to repair a helio gear leg.  The gear legs should be put in a heavy jig so the leg had no chance to twist move or deform in the heat treat process

Doug Johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
thanks John,
I found the file for the Jaars STC and its attached.

download to open and look at the drawings.

Doug
Doug

Louis

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 05:12:16 AM »
Wow !!  Thanks.  I now feel reassured that i could proceed to repair the Helio landing gear with sufficient documentation to satisfy a check.

When we build the landing gear for my Flying Camper Van, we did sent the strange circle gear for some kind of heat treatment.  We had for six planes.  One piece did slip from the hand of the man who was unloading them from the pickup.  It broke like glass when hitting the ground.  We were puzzled, and let's say concerned to install them on the planes.  A quick trip to the metallurgist of the heat treating compagny did solve the problem:  we had them laser cut before bending, and the laser cutting ( wich was not known or told to the metallurgist )  had somewhat doing a lot of hardening to the metal along the cut for a small percentage of the thickness.  Once the laser cutting known, the metallurgist came up with a different recipe.  The did something to bring back the metal to uniform state, and retreated it.  Eveything was fine after that.

Louis

Doug Johnson

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 07:14:47 AM »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:40:09 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug