Author Topic: Helio Gull wing cargo doors  (Read 4444 times)

brantreid

Helio Gull wing cargo doors
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »
Were the Gull Wing Cargo Doors covered under the Type Certificate for the 1200 series or is it a STC item?

Doug Johnson

Re: Helio Gull wing cargo doors
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
I would assume since the gull wing Utility/Litter door is listed in the military parts manual usable on code a,b,j,k which covers all U-10s A, B or D and the H-295 parts manual has it listed on 1201-1295 you just have to find one or make your own do the appropriate paperwork and install it.

Its only when you install Jaars Cargo door that opens to the rear that you need an STC.

Personally I prefer the gull wing utility door because if it comes open in flight its pretty much a non event (unless you fall out) just slow down pull it closed (without falling out) and continue on.

Now if the one that opens to the rear comes open in flight (and it happened on c/n 1235) you will need to land to shut it and probably need to file an event report.

Doug

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:26:49 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Ken Berger

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
Doug :

That's exactly the approach that I took when I installed my para-drop door.  Factory parts, with factory part numbers, installed per the factory drawings.  No STC needed.   Just a signoff in the log book that it was installed conforming to the type certificate.
Ken

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:01:48 AM »
Ken,
Did you use the door from c/n 1259, and do you prefer the split paradrop door to the utility door.

If so why?

Doug

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:10:09 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Jason Stephens

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 07:04:32 PM »
This is the door on my U-10 project.  Do all of the para doors have the post move up with the door like on this one?  Hard to tell from the drawings.

Jason

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
Jason,
There is no actual center post its part of the utility door that shirt tail catcher is part of it. I considered a mod to remove the shirt tail catcher at the bottom center area between the doors and decided it was to much work, that is what Jaars did made it part of their Cargo door. Also your door is a litter/utility door not a para-door.

John the owner of N391AK installed a tube in the post area to strengthen the cage and give you something to hang on to as you load cargo especially while on floats. I considered a removable post because I had heard you could wrinkle the skin from repeated hard landings. but Jaars says there has never been a problem, the truss below the two doors does not flex enough to wrinkle the skin. IF the skin wrinkles or oilcans you have bent the cage.

Doug
Doug

Jason Stephens

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 12:28:04 PM »
Ah!  Thanks for the clarification.

Ken Berger

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »
Doug:

The paradrop door versus the utility door is apples and oranges.  The paradrop door is better for aerial photos and jumpers; the utility door is better for commercial hauling and commercial passenger use.

Ken
Ken