Author Topic: Looking for aft baggage door  (Read 5039 times)

391stol

Looking for aft baggage door
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
I am looking to find a aft baggage door which goes where the static port normally is not the tiny battery access door. I mostly just need the hydro- stamped backing section of the door but will take a whole unit if someone has one for sale.

Doug Johnson

Re: Looking for aft baggage door
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
About that baggage door, I've only seen that big door on one helio and thats N400HE which The Pima sheriff dept now has. It was an uncompleted H-800 (c/n H-22) Frame that  David Maytag acquired when he purchased the Helio assets. Maytag used that  frame for one of his Radial engine projects The other was c/n 2531.

I beleive the frame went to Prescot, AZ somebody put a turbine in it and they sold it to the Pima County Sherriffs Dept.

There was a magazine article that came out when Maytag brought Helio Stallion c/n 001 back from the Phillipines. His phone # was listed along with a short bit about him them just about being  ready to start making helio parts (this was around 1994-95) as you know it didn' happen. I called the number and what do you know, I got ahold of David Maytag. We talked for a short time, he assured me that parts would soon be available, we talked breifly about a turbine that he'd put in a helio 295 or  395. He was more enthusiastic about the radial engine and the european market. I asked about other mods it seems the baggage door mod was mentioned and maybe an STC for it.

As far as any immediate help in the way of parts or information he was of no help. At the time I was trying to find Tomahawks for the slats since mine were worn badly and the slats were sticking and not deploying evenly.

If anyones interested I'll post how I refurbished them. At the time I wasn't getting much help from anyone. Seems that everyone was sick Larry Mongomery was ill, Dean Tremaine was poorly, Clarence Brent was in the beginning stages of Alzhiemers. And no one seemed to know if there was an approved way refurbish the tomahawks.

Doug

I've found it works best to open these attachments in a new tab.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:50:02 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

lbpa18

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
Has there been any news on the availability of this door? It doesnt appear to be as difficult as making a litter door, and we know that has been fabricated from scratch. This cargo door would obviously add to the utility of the airplane by providing access to the very back of the baggage compartment. Or is this just something that not many came with?

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:27:25 AM »
I suspect the only way to get information on that door is to find the Helios that have the door, use the N# to go to FAA records pay ten dollars to get the CD copy of its records,and look through each planes 337's. If you're Lucky it was documented in at least one.

Then if you really want one, You will have to fabricate it. Again if you're lucky, you will be able to use prior approval to get your own field approval.

Doug
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:32:51 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

391stol

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:29:30 PM »
I have given up on locating the stamped portion of the baggage door and will pull a composite mold off of one which already exists. I will mold the front and also the stamped back portion and and build out of graphite/carbon fiber. The door frame will replicate the others out of aluminum. I have talked with feds and should not be much of a problem to field approve.   Our birds are a dieing breed which is getting harder to find parts like these, not to mention the value falling due to many factors.  The way things look for the future of the helio and owners is grim not to mention the knowledge is dying off quickly. So any info you old timers have needs to be passed on to some young bucks.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
391stol

I just realized your baggage door is ahead of the structural part of the aluminum rear monocoque tail assymbly. It probably won't be too much of a problem. In fact you could probably do a mirror image and put one on both sides.

Other than making the molds your way is probably a better an easier way to go anway.

I see looking out your window in the picture by the tree's you must  up north somewhere. The district I'm in the Feds are impossible to work with. If I get back into flying I,ll be ready to move back to Anchorage.

Which Helio ( N#) do you have access to that already has a Baggage door on it?

Doug
Doug

391stol

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
Theres a bunch up here in alaska.  It is the baggage door which goes where the static port is normally located on the 391/395/295 so it is in the monocoupe area. I want it to load my muddy labrador after hunting on floats without having to have him jump over the front seat all full of mud.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
391stol,

I thought I remembered the stressed skin portion of the tail assy starting at the very rear of the baggage area. Well I haven't been inside an airplane for 10 years.

Still I'm suprised the fed's not expressing concern if you're cutting a hole in the stressed skin without an exact duplicate of the stamped reinforcment ring which returns the stregth to the stressed skin.

I just don't remember noticeing any baggage doors on helio's in Anchorage. But then again I was never concerned with hauling anything that would fit through a baggage door. I usually flew light or heavy with the rear passenger seats removed.

I once hauled 4 barrels of Fuel oil over to a cabin N/W of Squentna as I recall we were going to load all 4 but could only get 3 in with the seats removed. That was with one passenger to help unload and almost full fuel. I think that was my heaviest load I ever hauled.

Doug

Doug