Author Topic: looking for old cast aluminum rocker box covers????  (Read 5200 times)

391stol

looking for old cast aluminum rocker box covers????
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
A little off topic for the helio but i am looking for a set or any old lycoming cast rocker box covers that came off the old 0290. They fit the fit 320-360 series engines. I have called any and all engine shops that have been around for years and several scrap places and no luck. I am willing to overpay for these so please let me know if you have a set or any of them.   They have the old style L cast into the cover.  Thanks.

Stickman

Re: looking for old cast aluminum rocker box covers????
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
Try J W Duff Aircraft salvage in Denver. Duff himself passed away recently but I think they are still in business.

I bought a door for my 180 there a year ago and he had a lot of that sort of thing then.

Jason Stephens

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:39:21 AM »
I believe I have a complete O-290 at the hangar if you want the whole thing. ;)

391stol

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
I would not know what to do with a 0290 engine but if they have the old cast cover i would pay you for them and give you a set of the current stamped version covers to replace them. But i appreciate your offer.

Jason Stephens

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:06 AM »
Do you have a pic of what they look like?  Are they just the single letter "L"?

391stol

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
they have a large L on them inside a six sided box. They were on all the old 0435 engines also. There is a picture of them on the leading edge exhaust system website on the cub exhaust. They are heavier than the newer ones and stick out a little further but i like the vintage look.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
Since you are experimental why not go carbon fiber  http://www.compositesworld.com/news/composite-castings-develops-carbon-fiber-engine-block. I've already seen carbon fiber intake manifolds. Is ceramic fiber composite an option.

Or is the plan to use them as a plug for the mold.

Doug
Doug

391stol

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »
These are going on a cub engine. The helio is a angle valve. In order to do composite rocker box covers you would need a very high temp resin only achievable with pre-preg material and a elevated post cure. All pretty simple to do but the gains are very small,very very small for the effort. This is mainly for cosmetics.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »
Found a picture of spencer lycoming O-540 if I remember the L in a circle at the bottom of the picture is what you're looking for right?

You can't see it on the valve covers.

Doug
Doug