Author Topic: 001 loose it's GoPro  (Read 8508 times)

Louis

001 loose it's GoPro
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:27:38 AM »

Doug Johnson

Re: 001 loose it's GoPro
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
Louis,
Thanks for sharing the video clip especially liked seeing the gear work. Hope you post some more.

Would like to see a landing on a hard surface runway.
Doug
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:47:57 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Neil

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:40:36 PM »

gearedone

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Excellent video Neil!!

LynnHawk

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »
Nice video! Beautiful airplane!

Jason Stephens

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »
Great videos!  Really neat to see how it gets light on its feet before liftoff.

Ken Berger

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
Speak of getting "light on it's feet," I had an experience earlier this year that was both challenging and a first.  Unbeknownst to me, I had lost some, but not all pressure on one of my front oleo struts.  The other side/strut was low but ok, and surprisingly there was no visual difference in the level of the plane prior to takeoff.

On takeoff, the strut that was still ok lifted the wing on that side rather quickly as normal, but the other side that was too low didn't lift up for quite some time resulting in a very high/low wing position on takeoff; almost like taking off in a bank turn.   Not good, but just manageable enough to not be an emergency.

So just remember, when you get light, get light on both legs at once!
Ken

Doug Johnson

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
Ken,
What was the landing like I had a similar experience with a strut that leaked, but with only a few hours I thought the high wing takeoff was caused by crosswind.

My next landing a shortfield three pointer I did a sharp swerve off the runway and I almost did a ground loop between the taxiway and runway, I believe because my mindset was to stop as quickly as possible I was able to avoid a slow speed ground loop, which I had already practiced a few weeks earlier.

Doug
Doug

Ken Berger

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
We should all try to avoid "practice" of the ground loop. 

My landing with the leaky strut was tricky.  The wing on the side of the leaky strut quickly dropped lower than the other side.  Nothing bad happened immediately, but still much harder to control the plane that way, with a distinct possibility that one could loose directional control.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:39:39 PM by Ken Berger »
Ken

Doug Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »
You say nothing bad happened immediately.  My wing dropped as soon as I touched down and I veered off the runway.

I suppose probably because I was doing a full stall landing and was unaware that my strut was bad also less than than 50 hrs in the Helio.

I'm not sure that you shouldn't practice the ground loop, or at least what to do when it starts, from my own experience with a slow speed ground loop it taught me that you can't recover and the best thing to do is get stopped.

I suspect a lot of incidents have turned into serious accidents from getting a little behind then trying to recover.

Doug
Doug

Jason Stephens

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 01:39:24 AM »
Is there any way to discover this sort of problem during the pre-flight?  Without something to hold on to its kind of hard to rock the plane back and forth.

Ken Berger

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
If you haven't flown the bird in a while, you can measure the oleo strut lengths under the cowl.  Sometimes you can also get a hint of a problem just by looking at the stance of the wheels.

The reason that it's hard to tell sometimes is that the evenness of the wheel stance can change, like when I roll mine backwards into my hanger, or if the ground is slightly out of level.  Another thing that can be done is to put the front wheels on grease plates or rollers; that helps even things out.
Ken

Doug Johnson

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »
After my incident, during my preflight or if it didn't seem to be tracking properly, I would take off tie downs use a little ladder or step to get a little higher then pick up the tip of each wing as much as I could and drop it a couple times. then I would go out in front. If a strut is low the airplane won't sit level one wing will usually be low.

Then I would open cowl and look closely at the length of the oleo struts if it appeared to not be sitting level. actually looking at the strut is length showing is something you should be doing every preflight anyway.

Doug
Doug

lbpa18

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »
Regarding checking strut condition, on pre flt of Cubs with bungies for shock absorption I would hold the upper wing strut and rock the wing aggressively enough to get the tires to lift off the ground. Then when complete I could view the airplane from the front to check symmetry. What sounds like abuse to the gear is in fact no worse than a landing on rough terrain so I felt no guilt in so doing. Our Helio lives on floats. But when on gear, I leave the short ropes that are used for ground handling of the floatplane near docks attached to the tie down rings. The rings are still big enough to tie a tiedown line thru or one can tie directly to the short loop-ended ropes. These short loop-ended ropes common on floatplanes allow the same type of rocking during a pre flt. I can't reach the wing well enough to rock it without them, but with them my struts should be effectively preflighted to prevent surprises.