Author Topic: MOGAS STC?  (Read 7672 times)

LynnHawk

MOGAS STC?
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
Does anyone have a MOGAS STC For the 391B?

gearedone

Re: MOGAS STC?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »
Hi LynnHawk,

I checked all 48 STC's for auto gas mods, none so far the H-391B or the GO-435-C2B2-6

That does not mean there are none out there, just can't find one.

I'll do some research and see what I come up with..

Stephen

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »
I checked the EAA STC once before and couldn't find anything but was told by some one that there was another STC that might cover the GO-435.

Seems like it was something like a Peterson fuel mod, does that sound right?

Found this previous post; http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=18.msg96#msg96

Also found this in a previous post;
One of the main reason for 100ll compared to auto gas is the safety factor. 100ll is much more stable and less likely to flash off in a crash.  If you think you can't run a 8:1 (GO-480) compression engine on 92oct. car gas no ethanol of course you're wrong. I run a exp cub engine with 10:1 compression on car gas all the time.

I find the stability less likely to flash off, questionable, I've seen two airplanes catch on fire from static spark because of an improper ground when refueling. Also got to help put out the fires unsurprisingly they just burn no explosions.

I was also told that the Helio fuel bladders don't like alcohol and the mechanical fuel pump if never modified doesn't either. Anyone know if that is true?

Anyone know if there's anything in the P-carb that doesn't like alcohol?

I hauled fuel in the outboard tanks for boats, snowmachines and 4 wheelers. I was always careful to keep gas with alcohol out of them which isn't hard in AK since little or no fuel blended with Alcohol gets there.

That said although it isn't legal the GO-480 will run just fine on on Mogas but it's at your own risk and if you go one part Lowlead AVgas and 4 parts Mogas it has enough lead to not even make me worry. 6 gals 100LL 24 gals mogas in a 30 gal bladder. This is generally reserved for use out in the bush when Avgas is hard to come by or can't be found.

I would be willing to bet that this is done in Mission work out in the the jungle areas also,
also bet they won't admit it.

While in Canada I had to run some 100/130 Avgas it tends to leadfoul your lower plugs in particular. Is that even available today in Canada?

I also refueled in White Horse Canada and they put 80/86 in my Airplane it had me all worried they finally convinced me to finish fueling with 100 lowlead and let it blend, worked fine but they had to do some talking. 80/86 was available in Canada for a number of years after it was no longer available in AK.

I would think the GO-435 would run fine on Mogas also as long as there's no alcohol. Mogas without alcohol is hard to find here in the Midwest.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:25:31 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

gearedone

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
I checked the Petersen mods for GO-435 and Helio. None listed

And it does have to be an STC, because Field approval or 337 won't get you anywhere!!

Doug Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
Stephen,
You have kind of an inside track there with EAA. Quite awhile back I was told that occasionally a new fuel STC is added to the list can you ask someone if the GO-435/480/540 has been looked at or is ever expected to be looked at. Could you also ask Petersen and see what they say.

There seems to be a lot of talk on alternate fuels to replace 100LL so maybe something is on the horizon at any rate the cost of Avgas keeps going up and the temptation to to take the risk is going to get stronger.

Doug

Doug

Louis

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:40:19 AM »
Is there any STC for pressurized carb  ?

Louis

gearedone

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
This might give you what you need, it appears there is none listed for GO-435, 480, or other "geared" Lyc's.

The direct-drive O-540 is listed

http://www.autofuelstc.com/

Stephen

Delcourt Aviation

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »
There are 2 STC's for Lycoming geared engines. Not much use to the Helio crowd. They are for the GO-145 engine.

gearedone

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
There are 2 STC's for Lycoming geared engines. Not much use to the Helio crowd. They are for the GO-145 engine.

Are any of those still in existence??

Stephen

Delcourt Aviation

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
I have seen 2 in restored Piper J-5's in the last few years, they are very rare.

LynnHawk

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »
Thanks for all the replys. Petersons said that the cost of an STC for the GO-435 would be around $20K in fuel and paper work.  I didn't realize 100LL was so cheap.