Author Topic: unidentified Helio  (Read 10499 times)

airshiptv

Re: unidentified Helio
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
Because the Helio's are registered as public service they can not be used as is in the US but will either be sold as parts or sold to a foreign county for law enforcement.  That from Pima County and TBD at a later date

Doug Johnson

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 10:08:49 AM »
It sure seems to me a shame that the "Helio Type certificate owners" haven't pursued this. It seems the stumbling block that has brought this to light is the lack of an STC for the turbine which prevents the availability of insurance for plots in commercial use. I suppose a lot of rebuildable airframes doesn't hurt.

The Soloy people appear to only be assembling about 20 aircraft per year. I suppose for the Helio owners its to small of a niche to be interested in.

It doesn't seems like the FAA is doing much to help, maybe no one is asking though

Below is what the Soloy 207 offers. Except for 8 psngrs the Turboprop Helio HT-420T offers the equal or better.

1) Proven 418 HP Rolls-Royce 250-C20S Turboshaft engine with worldwide service support TBO 3500 hours.

2) Quiet 95 inch Hartzell 3-blade full feathering propeller.

3) Slow 1810 RPM Prop for quiet vibration-free operation

4) Soloy’s rugged Turbine-Pac gearbox installation. 3500 hour TBO

5) Reverse-flow alternate air intake system for FOD & Ice protection

6) Maximum Gross wt increased to 4000 lbs (standard in the H-800)

7] Normal fuel capacity 80 gal 73 useable) with available 52 gal Sierra Aux Fuel (Helio has 120 gal standard another 60 gals aux wing tanks and another 60 possible in wing tip extension tanks useful for ferry purposes)

8] All versions of the 207 are eligible for conversion, but some earlier models require mod to 24 volt electrical system

9] Standard exhaust heat-exchanger exhaust with optional bleed air heater for arctic conditions.

10] Floatplane rudder required for all installations and included in kit.

11) Burns Jet Fuel at about 25-29 GPH at Max Cruise power

12) Optional 8 seat STC available for earlier model 207s that have only 7 seats. (not available in helio)

13) Optional continuous ignition system available

14) Optional PK Float kits available both seaplane and amphibious (Helio offers this plus conventional or Tregear)

15) Useful forward baggage box, RH copilot door and large RH cargo doors standard on all models.

Helio is safer with its 15G crash-cage/fuselage, slow minimal forward airspeed, no stall, fuel bladders and other safety features.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:41:58 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Jason Stephens

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
Wow, the soloy 206 sure has short legs with so little fuel on board.

Doug Johnson

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:25:15 PM »
Another unidentified Helio. Anyone recognize it.

Anyone recognize the people in the Helio picture. I have to admit I didn't until Larry gave me their names but I haven't seen the guy for 16 yrs and I was trying to figure out which Helio it was not studying the people.

Doug

Edit: c/n 1442 N222LT             Larry Montgomery and Jack Linkletter  (Arts son)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:10:31 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

391stol

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
Why it is a helio h295 1400 series

Doug Johnson

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
LTeuffel told me that the People in the photo were larry Montgomery and Jack Linkletter (of TV fame) Gordon Cragg told me Jack had a Helio and that Helio had crashed in Africa easy to figure out then.

c/n 1442 built 08/71 model H-295, originally CF-PGW special mark allocated Proctor & Gamble of Canada Ltd AB sold '79, export rereg N48565 Larmont Larry Montgomery SC '79, N222LT (special mark) Larry Terry Contractor inc (Jerry Morris) AL sold '81, Larry Montgomery (Larmont Aviation dealer) SC sold '81, Link Properties (Jack Linkletter of TV fame) CA installed 2 extra permanent fuel bladders in wings for XLR total 180 gals using STC (SA1756CE) accident as the tailwheel settled to the runway the aircraft veered to the right and ground looped, collapsing the left main landing gear. The oleo strut had failed due to tensile overload @ Santa Anna CA 7/84 sold '88, Nicholas Hanks Special Flight Permit '95 for Operation in excess of maximum gross weight (4,250lb.) with a temporary overseas delivery 60 gal fuel system installed accident on takeoff no details @ Madikwe Game Preserve, NWP South Africa 6/09, dereg as destroyed Nicholas Hanks sold, to someone in Alaska for parts

Anyone know the person in Alaska that bought it for parts

Doug
Doug

Louis

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
You are getting me excited with that 180 gallons STC.  I wonder what are the changes required for the spar.

Louis

Doug Johnson

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
"I always wanted to know if it was true about that priest and a Helio."
Louis

The Priest you mention was Rev Robert Bryan, Quebec Labrador Mission his first of
5 Helios was c/n 2513 N269E (I was told its probably for Ezra 2:69) in '65, next
 was c/n 1208 N269E 66-68, next c/n 1286 N269E 11/67-73, next c/n 1292 N269E '
72-'80, last c/n 2531 N169E '79, the first one isn't around any longer and the second
became N99PM which had an accident while with Gary Schmidt of Highlander Aircraft
so he built the Highlander Superstol. The other three are still flying.
Doug

"I am happy to learn that this priest really existed.  Thanks"
Louis

I found this also
Robert Bryan: The Flying Parson of Labrador

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=160893277X

Doug
Doug

JamesCaird

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »
Hi Guys-unless I am not up to date, Rev. Bob Bryan is still around.   I was up to the Greenville, Maine, flyin with the SPA (Seaplane Pilots Association) a couple of years ago 2013.  When I got into the banquet hangar  I headed for the drinks queue and I told my buddy to"Go find someone interesting to sit with"!     When I found him we were sitting with Rev. Bob Bryan.  Rev. Bryan was an early Helio guy and so was my own father so he had some things to tell me.  There is the flying priest part, but there was other stuff:  Landing and taking a Helio off on straight floats on LAND!  How about landing a wheeled Helio on a pier in NYCity to demonstrate feasability?   He also did some test flying Helios on other float set ups.  Someone should go get the stories....
Cheers and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year/ JC       (by the way, at that seaplane pilots' banquet, Rev. Bryan was well known and highly regarded)

Doug Johnson

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »
James,
The book above "The flying Parson of Labrador" at

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=%22The+flying+Parson+of+Labrador%22

has the Helio stories told by Rev. Bryan I guess I should have explained more. I just figured anyone interested would follow the link,

Doug

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:28:07 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

JamesCaird

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
Thanks, Doug-   the link didn't work for me but I ordered the book anyway.  Cheers/  JC/aka Bob Wallace

Doug Johnson

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »
James aka Bob,
I couldn't make the link work either so I put a different one in.

I read most of the book (all the free parts).

I should by the book but haven't.

Have a good read.

this unidentified Helio stuff continued click on http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1339.0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:07:37 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

JamesCaird

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
Doug-  The other story I asked about (Helio clandestine ops into Russia) is included in a book:   The Secret Team-The CIA and Its Allies, etc.   by L. Fletcher Prouty, 1972.  The Helio part is in Chapter 7.  You can Google it.   The mission described required a "clean" Helio which would have been built at Canton or Bedford, Masss or at Pittsburg, Kansas.  Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this story/  Cheers/ JC
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:26:57 AM by JamesCaird »

airshiptv

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »
Got that book many years ago.  Great Helio story and you can see why the Helio was such a great Company plane and held in such high esteem.  There's a great movie there.

JamesCaird

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »
Bob, Which book do you mean? The Flying Parson or the Secret Team?  Ha, ha- In either one we would be talking about a "Company" airplane!  Cheers/  Bob Wallace