Author Topic: Aileron Field Repair  (Read 354 times)

Doug Johnson

Aileron Field Repair
« on: August 23, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
I am posting a picture of a field repair to an aileron that was recently done, using a fishing lure and saftey wire so the a/c ould be flown back.

This could have been a really serious incident just lucks that it wasn't, I don't exactly know the full story
 other than the rivets that attach the pillow block to wing came loose.

When Larry montgomery gave me my 10 hrs of Helio training (should have been at least 20) those aileron attach bolts and the removable covers that allow them to be inspected were one the first things pointed out to me and emphasized to be included in the preflight walkaround.

I've been thinking about this and either these attachpoints weren't inspected on each preflight or they were just given a cursory peek to see that that the cotter key was still in the bolt. as I recall when shown how to do a preflight all of the control surfaces were given a vigorous shake including the wing tip itself.

I will attach the pictures and add a couple from the parts manual.

Hopefully the person that sent me the picture will send me an email explaining the events that led up to this incident. I know the a/c had been in an accident that invoved the wings. Is this something that didn't get repaired and then just kept getting overlooked in each preflight?

Anyway His reccomendation is that if you aren't checking these aileron attach bolts on each preflight, that you should give them a good look before your next flight.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:40:38 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Louis

Re: Aileron Field Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 08:31:18 PM »
Thanks

I would add that not putting an outside control lock on a Helio aileron will do this pretty fast with some backyard wind.  Inside control lock are useless to prevent stress.  Those ailerons were never designed to fly backward after all

Louis

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »
Louis here is a picture of your aileron gust lock that you once posted.

What it doesn't show is a red flag hanging down and a short bungee that stretchs over to the tiedown ring

I believe that forgetting to remove just one of these gustlocks is worse than forgetting to inspect the the aileron attach bolts.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:10:23 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:48:58 AM »
Received another photo.

The caption is, 'overshot rivets on the other side'.

Its ineresting to note the wings used to repair this airplane came off of a 2500 back in '05 that had a hard landing they were then used to repair this airplane in '17, now three years later this shows up.

Opened it as 4th picture above
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:10:22 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug