Author Topic: Insurance premium increase?  (Read 366 times)

Bill Miller

Insurance premium increase?
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:21:05 AM »
I’ve seen my rates double the last two years with Starr as underwriter. Broker says the whole market is stiff but worse for “orphan antiques”. Anybody have advice to get back down to 1500 instead of almost 6k for a 1957 391 B - no claims

RCarter

Re: Insurance premium increase?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »
No tips for you sadly.  Mine went up 15% this year and I was told I was a lucky one.  Sadly 6k doesn't sound too terrible, just a hair more than I pay for my 295.  Granted I pay the Alaska premium which is quite large.  Been told a lot of people are seeing 50%+ increases this year.  Advice to me was prepare for it, as it is going to keep going up for a few more years. 

Jason Stephens

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 03:47:28 PM »
Hi Bill,  My glider training business was relatively lucky this year.  Our increase was *only* about 10% with AIG.  My buddy's airplane school(about 6 planes) went up 30%.  No claims for either of us, its just the industry.  Now he is also scrambling because the insurance company recently decided to stop insuring tailwheel instruction.  I already know AIG won't insure my Helio when it is ready so I don't know what I'm going to do.  If it was a 180 I would just fly without hull coverage but that doesn't seem prudent in a Helio for the first couple years.

Jason Stephens

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:55:44 AM »
A list of all known companies that are willing to insure Helios might be useful.