Author Topic: Pilatus PC-8D  (Read 635 times)

Doug Johnson 1

Pilatus PC-8D
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »
Here is a photo that was sent to me to pass along to the Helio people here, hope you find it interesting. The PC-8D is actually a better looking airplane than the old PC-6 single engine piston porter.

As some say about the Pilatus "The box the Helio came in" This is a one of a kind aircraft as in only one built.

It kind of reminds you of the Helio twin, of which only 7 were completed along with a couple unfinished frames that were converted to Stallions.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:21:20 PM by Doug Johnson 1 »

Jason Stephens

Re: Pilatus PC-8D
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:12:25 PM »
Never even heard of the PC-8 before!  Thanks for posting Doug.

Aviador

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
What  about this one Pilatus once proposed?

TreeTopFlyer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 06:24:12 AM »
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
No one has posted anything for a while so here is something.

Here is a picture of a PC-6 and I'm sorry this 'Beholder' finds no beauty in it.

I just happen to remember something I personally saw Helio Stallion as c/n 006 as N9992F on wheel skis at Fairbanks in '78 unfortunately I took no pictures that was before the days of cellphones with cameras and I don't know if it made any landings on Mt. McKinley's 7200 ft strip (before they renamed the mountain.)

Maybe it would be different if it out performed the Stallion but it doesn't or didn't. I spoke with Larry Montgomery about the Fly off comparison between the Pilatus and the Stallion and he said they had two support people him and another guy. The Pilatus people had two dozen support people and the readiness rate was always higher for the Stallion over the Pilatus while the Stallion was outperforming the Pilatus.

And the Stallion just looks better and nine out of ten kids agree that the Helio just looks like an airplane is supposed to.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:42:36 PM by Doug Johnson 1 »

JamesCaird

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:13:28 AM »
Hi Guys-  for me the Pilatus PC-6 is a thing of beauty.  It does do some great stuff in the STOL/ Jungle world but not with the real beauty of the Stallion, I can agree with that.  For some entertainment look in YouTube for "Porter Flying in Papua"  for some good New Guinea style flying. During the video we play the game "Spot the Runway" to see who sees it first.
   Meanwhile:  back in the Dawn of Time, maybe 1963 or so, my father was working for Helio at Canton, Mass.  I stopped by the hangar one day for a visit (I was in High school) and he said, "Come out back, I want to show you something".  Out back was the first Twin Helio.  They built them there.  Anyway, so we all know the long story but eventually the Twin Helios went to India where the CIA was trying to establish some new means of watching and listening into China from the Himalaya.  There had been surveillance flights in various aircraft based out of Taiwan but Chinese anti-aircraft technology was improving, if you know what I mean... so  there had been some dubious missions to get some heavy gear including a plutonium decay "generator" up into the high Himalaya where the gear would have a "view" into China, Signals Intelligence or "SigInt".  Reading Conboy's "Spies in the Himalaya" and finally between the lines my sense  is that those Twin Helios likely performed "One Way" missions to get the gear up high.  They were loaded up and flown into positions where the equipment was offloaded and set up and then the crews hiked out.  These may have been the "Highest fixed wing landings" but what good is that claim if there is no takeoff?   Think about "landing" a Twin Helio high up in the snow and rock knowing you are not flying it out.   What else could have done it?    Cheers/  JC