Author Topic: Helio Gathering 2019  (Read 546 times)

tailhook

Helio Gathering 2019
« on: February 20, 2019, 09:22:26 AM »
Good Morning Helio folks,

As it stands now it is looking less likely to host an event at Vintage Airplane Association's annual hoop-la. Two reasons: ( 1) They want us there on the Thursday before EAA Airventure begins so we can park as a group and with schedules, maintenance, weather, and nearly a week before the Fly-In begins, it just seems a bit out of the availability of a lot of you to make it to Oshkosh prior to the start of the event on Monday. I was planning on securing a great parking area in Vintage with camping to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the Helioplane's first flight.

(2) the amount of effort on my behalf is a bit consuming, physically, emotionally, and trying for everyone to be at the same place, same time, scenario.

I'm going to make a valiant effort to see what we can accomplish in the next few weeks, but because of flight schedules, and attendance for a showing of at least a dozen airplanes, it looks a bit far fetched at this point. If we can get a number put together by late March I may be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated and I'm forever grateful for the showing of airplanes in 2017. Last year was a wash out due to weather, and parking Helio's way down in the South 40. If I'm going to do this, I would like everyone parked together except for the Helio's with MAF displays.

Cheers,
Stephen

Kevin Dunn

Re: Helio Gathering 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
Thanks for your effort, Steve.

Kevin

tailhook

Re: Helio Gathering 2019
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »
Okay Helio pilots, here are the goodies as of today 3/11/19.

I was under the impression that any type of airplane that can celebrate a 70th Anniversary was when it made its first flight. The Helioplane did that on April 8, 1949 from a Harvard Tennis Court, however since the airplane was converted from an existing incomplete Piper PA-17 Vagabond provided to Koppen/Bollinger by E.W. Wiggins Airways at the Old Canton Airport in Norwood, MA. Officially the Helio Courier was flown as a new type in June 1954, and in July was awarded Type Certificate 1A8.

I have sent a request to Vintage Airplane Association in an effort to secure a parking area for maybe 5 or 6 Helio's. For those of you wanting to attend EAA Airventure, I will need to know who is on board to come. As of now, we have N4121D, N100HC, N395H, N6463V, N400HE, N920AS. The JAARS Helio's will be displayed in the Missionary Aviation area's.

Send me a PM so we can move forward with this at your earliest.

Regards,
Stephen