Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes  (Read 267 times)

Bleeding Brakes
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
I've just had the cleveland brake caliper rebuilt and am having a bit of a time getting the air out of things.  Any suggestions?  I've been pumping fluid backwards from the bleeder screw.

Re: Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »
What are you using for a fluid pump? My personal preference is a 2 quart pressure paint pot converted for 5606 hydraulic fluid, a low pressure regulator, shut-off valve and clear line to the brakes so you can see what's happening. It only takes a few psi but it works great. I've also used a hydraulic pump set up with a crank handle which works well but is more complicated. A hand squirt can is my least favorite as they sometimes allow air to enter the fluid stream. If you use a squirt can, use a clear line so you can see if air is mixing in with the fluid.

Is your caliper mounted on the top, front or rear of the axle? Regardless, you have to be sure you don't have a high spot where air can be trapped. you may need to remove the caliper from the wheel, and position it so you have no high spots. Clamp or block the pucks so they don't move when you insert fluid. Also check your lines at the master cylinder end of things. Arcs in the lines will collect air and make it impossible to bleed the brakes. If you have dual brakes, I like to actuate the pilot brake slightly as I'm servicing them to help move fluid and get air out. Watch your reservoir with a light and mirror so you don't overflow it, but then that's pretty obvious...

They can still be a pain, but the above might help.  Jim

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:47 AM »
I have found that using a large animal syringe adapted with a hose on the end works great, and small enough to store in a flyaway kit.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
I like that idea. Good one to keep in mind.