Author Topic: Unidentified Helio II  (Read 1429 times)

Doug Johnson

Unidentified Helio II
« on: August 14, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
also see http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=454.msg3136#msg3136 it was getting to long.

I am posting a picture that I'm unable to identify only that it appears to be a Canadian H-395 CF-???. Photo taken Spring of 1965 as one of  "Courier Flights ltd's" Helio Courier"s. After it failed to take off from Mission Bay at Thunder bay Ontario due to soft conditions. Possibly there was a propeller strike or damage when it was pulled out of mud.

I don't have pictures of...       #027, N4111D, CF-LCD
                                           #059, CF-JRT
                                           #095, N4147D, CF-RPJ
                                           #097, N4145D, CF-LSH, N4169D
                                           #516, CF-JWE
                                           #520, N4167D, CF-SAA             maybe its one of the last two,

anyone know, especially any of our Canadian members.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:33:41 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: Unidentified Helio II
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 03:23:29 PM »
Edit: Indonesian Helio PK-JAA photo taken 11-11 at Cameroon reportedly being repaired after an accident when landing unable to get stopped in time while landing at a one way landing strip with strong tailwind it was intentionally ground looped to keep prop from striking a low retaining wall.

Edit Bob Wallace Identified Anyone from Jaars know which Helio it is and any more about accident like details location and date of accident it seems to be just before the three Helios were removed from service.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:48:09 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Louis

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »
Doug, there is two or three Helio in pieces in the Hangar of the gentleman from whom i bought a Pilatus.  Do you want his phone number or you do know about them.  Probably registered under the name of Nahanni air service, or North-Wright Airways Ltd.

Louis

Doug Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »
Louis, Thanks as you suggested I contacted Perry Linton, he believes it is c/n 1002 CF-CFL an H-395A but it is difficult for me to tell for sure since the prop is off the a/c.

see http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=908.msg4058#msg4058 I edited the c/n 1002 post.

Perry said a Helio I believe he said CFL (the accident history does say it was used for low level survey) was being hired occasionally by a wildlife biologist to color 'mark' caribou sheep and musk oxen with dye (bright red orange blue green etc) to study migration patterns, this was back before radio collars. He tells an amusing story about Their Native American Indian cook spotting some colored caribou near their camp and never seeing anything like it and thinking they were spirit animals, was headed for his rifle to protect himself. They were able to stop him before he shot any of the animals and explain what the spirit animals were.

I need to email him and get the name and dates for the history paragraph.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:30:46 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
Bob Wallace identified the Jaars Helio as PK-JAA and included a photo to prove it. I was able to add some details to the accident in '09.

see http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=1064.msg4346#msg4346
Doug

TreeTopFlyer

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:48:18 AM »
You notice that the JAARS helio had windshield speed mod?

Doug Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:34:50 AM »
yes I did one of the better photos it also clearly shows how the rear of the wing intersects with the fuselage that bump creates a lot of drag. That's why the experimental Robertson Skylark has that odd looking (if comparing it to a Helio) rear fuselage.

Doug