Author Topic: Abandoned Helio  (Read 1781 times)

Doug Johnson

Abandoned Helio
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:52 AM »
I found this recent photo at Flicker, Note dish on firewall found only on U-10s with 100amp gen.

It is located near Hopewell NJ.

Anyone know anything about it, or how to find out more about it.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/23269353@N00/23552192895/

Daniel Berek
Abandoned and Forgotten Helio Courier
A year ago, while I was riding in a car, I thought I saw this plane. I had been trying to locate it since then. On Wednesday, I finally spotted it - I wasn't seeing things! The tiny driveway off a busy highway is very difficult to negotiate and required several go-arounds. I noticed some cool abandoned buses, but the area seriously gave me the creeps - I expected some goon with a shot gun any moment. I got my airplane picture and hightailed it.

click on thumbnail to open
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:20:23 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: Abandoned Helio
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
Anything new on this Helio it appears to no longer be at Hopewell, NJ
Doug

Doug Johnson 1

Re: Abandoned Helio
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
It appears I am replying to my own post again.

Bob Wallace took a couple pictures of this Helio and another one and sent them to me.

Bob says;
 "I stopped at the NJ site with the Helios in the woods again. No human beings on site that I could rouse out but, as I said before,  a "dualing banjos" sort of place.  This time I had someone with me to watch my back.  Many sheds and vehicles parked, the airplanes are full of miscellaneous junk.  Earlier I had found one Helio wing laying in the grass.

I noted that both fuselages had their gear legs and oleo struts, wheels and tires. At least one had the tailwheel assembly. One had some original seats inside but pilot door missing.

I also noted that the Carry-Through AD had never been done.  Also no gussets added to gear legs which was another AD.  These have been retired for a long time.  the H-395 is pretty open, crash cage is all rusted.  The other one is closed up with good doors and all, much better shape.  Some incidental damage in top rear of tail-cone but not wrecked, more like something fell on it some time.

The open one is H-395 #608.  Build date 10/1963.  The other is also a H-395 but could find no numbers, data plates removed.  #608 is missing doors and panel.  The other is fairly complete, not wrecked, still has panel and interior.  Neither seemed wrecked but just weathered. These fuselages have been out in the elements for a long time.

Still bears further looking into.  Will investigate further."

With data plate is missing on this fuselage we still don't know the manufactures build number on the mostly complete fuselage.

I think it is a U-10D because of the bowl shaped indentation in the firewall for the 100 Amp gen. It is still located near Hopewell NJ. Another person couldn't find it and said it was gone.

I will post the picture of the other Fuselage which has a data plate under c/n 608.

link to c/n 608 click on   http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=871.msg3999#msg3999

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:14:04 PM by Doug Johnson 1 »