Author Topic: Battery for a 24 volt 295  (Read 2858 times)

rmartell

Battery for a 24 volt 295
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »
What type and model of battery are the owners of a 24 volt, 295 using?  Any STC available for the sealed batteries from Odyssey and has anyone had experience with the type?

Doug Johnson

Re: Battery for a 24 volt 295
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »
I think I used two sealed 12 volt RG-12 amp (recombined gas) HR Gil  batteries hooked in series. I mounted them inside the cowling one on each side on stainless steel mounting trays attached to the motor mount tubing with hose clamps. If I remember correctly there was a blanket STC for using the sealed batteries as a replacement. I chose two 12 volt batteries because of a previous experience I was at a small strip in Arizona (forget where), ran my 24 volt battery down in my 152, believe it or not no one had a 24 volt charger. I had never hand propped an airplane before, which I think is nearly impossible with a geared engine. Fortunately a pilot there gave me a lesson in hand propping an airplane. I still really don't like being that close to a spinning prop without something in between.

I believe N6463V is still in Anchorage the battery arrangement may still be the same You may be able to take a look and get some measurements on how I mounted the batteries if interested in going that route. I converted from 12v to 24v when I put my Helio together. I believe the 24v system offers lots of benefits, one it allows you to make a center tap for a light 12v load without needing a converter. I also got a field approval without having to get a Jaars STC for the Jasco 12 volt alternator by going 24 volt.
Doug

paullapoint

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »
I have a 12 volt Concorde battery that's about 8 months old out of C-FIPI if anyone needs one.I changed to a Concorde battery in my Cessna. No more problems. I've had several gill batteries- all junk. Has much more cranking power and can sit for a long time and still start the engine on a cold day. Well worth the extra money. Paul

rmartell

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:42:35 AM »
Thanks Doug.

Gordon Cragg

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »
H-395 C/N 514 has a 24 Volt System that was installed utilizing a DER. The battery is located in the standard tailcone area. The paperwork was pretty extensive. I am not aware of any STC's for the Odyssey battery. I understand that they are FAA/PMA approved.
Gordon Cragg
713-502-7274

391stol

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »
I know of several Cessna 185 that utilize 2 12v odyssey pc680 in series for a 24v system.   Legally with nothing more than a log book entry. This gives them the ability to field charge each battery more easily if the master is left on.  More easily I mean a 12 charger is easier to come by in the bush or a solar charger can be used.   I don't believe we need a stc for everything.  And field approvals are still available.  As well as just a good old log book entry.  Or just run it

391stol

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »
Anybody running a lead acid battery with a vent is just putting corrosive vapor in there plane.   A gel cell is sealed and pma. 

Doug Johnson

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
I think we had this conversation before, remember this post

http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?topic=548.msg2944#msg2944

Check it out, carefully read the letter.

I think the point is you can spend a lot of time fiddling with paperwork or just us the KISS principles.

I just looked up 12v Odyssey pc680 and the ampere hour for batteries, I remember, seem to mach the Odyssey I may have started out with a pink battery, but knowing me it wouldn't surprise me if I changed colors, at some point. maybe pink wasn't color coordinated with the color of the engine.

I just remembered something I begrudged the weight of the bat cables all the way to the rear and disliked long frame grounds I always I also wanted my battery preheated and kept in a nice warm engine compartment. I also always carried 30 lbs of survival gear and often had a little Honda generator to power my Tanis Heater or whatever. I can't remember if I posted a placard in the baggage compartment, if not I intended to, saying ' 30lbs of survival gear must be carried at all times to maintain weight and balance'.   I did put that placard in my 172 when we Put the constant speed prop on it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:04:57 PM by Doug Johnson »
Doug