Author Topic: c/n H-2, N40013  (Read 5407 times)

Doug Johnson

c/n H-2, N40013
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
4 picture check your albums. Please do an internet search maybe you'll come up with one I couldn't find, I need all the help I can get.

Previous posts about N40013 or anything click on   http://flyhelio.com/smf/index.php?action=search   Enter ?

c/n H-2, built 07/83 as model H-800, original registry N40013 built with stainless 1400 series wing carrythrough and wing attachments gross weight 3800lb, placed in experimental research and development category to show compliance with FARs sold 09/83, Helio Northwest Inc (Larry Teufel dealer) OR Placed on 29" 11.00x10 8ply tires sold 01/85, Beta Construction inc (Bill Turner) AK placed on PK 3500 amphib floats sold '86, Bruce Palmer & Bill Turner placed on Fluidyne 4000 hyd wheel-skis sold '91, Beta construction (Bill Turner) AK sold '92, Simpson Aerial farming NE returned to PK 3500 Amphib floats sold '94, John Repke Virgin Isles sold 11/96, Jay Jensen UT replaced Fiberglas gear-legs with Clarence Brent STC aluminum gear legs sold 02/97, Igor Best-Devereux UT accident during the landing roll, when the tail wheel contacted the runway, the aircraft started to vibrate and directional control could not be maintained. Consequently, the aircraft ground looped and came to a stop on the runway. Examination provided evidence that the tail wheel assembly failed at a previously repaired weld and separated from the aircraft. No pre-existing condition was found that would have contributed to the failure, and an examination of maintenance records failed to reveal when a repair was made to the tail wheel assembly. The tower controller said the landing appeared normal. Winds were calm at the time of the occurrence @ Ogden UT 10/97 repaired sold '98, Alaska Turbine STOL (Robert Tebo) AK reg expired '99 not reserved sold '14, Larry Teufel Hillsboro OR 05/15 rereg N40013 wing parts from H-6 being used to increase gross to 4000lb project in progress

As always any further information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:05:21 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

Re: c/n H-2, N40013
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
Added article, good picture of the GO-720, too bad Hartzel never finished the redesign of a prop to match the eng.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:11:15 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

Doug Johnson

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
Doug

Louis

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:45:41 AM »

How is it achieved ?  Never know about this in the 15 years i flew FXOH.  And even with my present 295 equipped witrh the 800 wing.   Probably with a return to the outside tank connected just below the vent tube ?  I have to check that.  Never know i could had pump the outside to inside without fearing overboard spill by the vent.  Happy to read that.  May be it would also explain why once or awile , may be once per year, there is a sort of syphoning that start when refueling and the outside underwing vent starts to drain fuel at full power.  Opening the fuel cap stops the process. 

At least it explain why the tubing is so complicated.  There is some merit to it.  I have never understand why it wasn't a simple tubing from the outside to the inside with a simple over wing vent.

I wonder how is the "real" 120 gallons tubing from a normal 295

Louis

Louis

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 05:55:49 AM »

For the newbies on Helio, read that a thousand times.  For the old timers, read it again even more.  The Helio is different from another airplane because of that.  Not driving it like a car but like another "normal" plane will result in a ground loop some day or another.  Properly driven like a car give us back so much more control than another plane.  But we do have to get rid of the tendency to block the aileron into the wind as we were teach for other planes.

Louis

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:56:55 PM by Louis »

Louis

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:00:41 AM »

Strange, i have no memory of a stall warning horn on the 800.  There is one ?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:56:18 PM by Louis »

bofusfly

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:36:41 AM »
Louis, first let me say that I know damn little about Helios, but I believe you're correct on both the stall warning horn and the aux. fuel system. I can't speak for H-2, but after just removing the left aux. bladder from H-4 two nights ago, the configuration is still fresh in my mind. There is no line to return fuel to the tank. There are 3 outlets on the tank. One in the rear inboard for transferring fuel to the main, one in the forward inboard top that is the vent and another outlet below the vent on the bottom forward inboard that is plugged. If this tank was used as a main, I believe that outlet would be for the crossover line. It is my understanding that H-1 through H-4 or maybe H-5 have a slightly different outlet configuration and attachment system for the cell than the subsequent 700/800 planes. I will try to attach a picture from inside the bay to show the forward outlet locations. As far as the stall warning horn, I just got a checkout in the plane from Gordon 3 weeks ago and that is still fresh also. Maybe I just tuned it completely out or am too deaf to hear it, but I never heard one and we certainly did several "stalls". I was wearing a noise cancelling headset, so maybe there was one and I couldn't hear it, but I don't think so. I check for one next time I fly. Terry   

Louis

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 06:59:35 PM »
Louis,
 For some reason your pics don't open for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Do you see that ?   :

Doug Johnson

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 05:42:24 AM »
yes, but it seems if I have a slow connection later in the day they time out and wont open.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:16:28 AM by Doug Johnson »
Doug

LynnHawk

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »

For the newbies on Helio, read that a thousand times.  For the old timers, read it again even more.  The Helio is different from another airplane because of that.  Not driving it like a car but like another "normal" plane will result in a ground loop some day or another.  Properly driven like a car give us back so much more control than another plane.  But we do have to get rid of the tendency to block the aileron into the wind as we were teach for other planes.

Louis
Louis, can you elaborate on the "Drive it like a car" technique? My 391B only has 2 interceptors per wing and when taking off with a right cross wind, the right wing wants to lift (p factor, torque, slip stream, wind on the slats etc.) Are you advocating left aileron, left interceptor up in a right cross wind?
Thanks, Lynn

KatSutphin

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »
Flying again! Hope the attached image shows!