Author Topic: Helio part  (Read 739 times)

Doug Johnson 1

Helio part
« on: June 29, 2019, 12:20:58 AM »
I was asked a question by CB and had to reply as I often do that I didn't know.

His question below in blue didn't include a price but it piqued my interest, so I looked in my illustrated parts catalog and couldn't find a picture of anything similar on the stabilator, so I did a search for the parts number and this is what I found see pictures of the vertical fin (photo 2 and 3 below). I outlined the parts in red.

Its kind of interesting that the heavy duty stabilator used on the H-395 on, has a part # with the first three digits being 250 as in H-250 but this bracket still has the original first three digits being 391 as in H-391.

The stabilator brackets in the Airforms advertisement (picture 1) have the same p/n for the h395. Are these interchangeable? Worth it ?

Anyone know what the price of the Airforms brackets is and if they are worth the asking price.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:35:48 AM by Doug Johnson 1 »

rmartell

Re: Helio part
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
McFarlane part list
 Each bracket, stabilator $5190.63
Axles are $1480.26

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 04:35:48 AM »
I believe if I still owned a Helio and needed 1 or 2 of these parts I would seriously be looking into owner manufactured parts.

I recall some posts in the past for axles, I'll have to do a little looking see if I can find the links to those posts. This has been done in the past by owners.

The stabilator bracket/hinge looks like it was cast then then machined pretty standard fabrication techniques probably not to hard to reverse engineer. I suspect you could make a couple for less than the $14K asked by McFarlane.

Or have I lost touch with what special single item manufacturing costs really are this seems to me like a lot of money and if not a ripoff, at least priced pretty high and they're not even made from titanium.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:48:34 AM by Doug Johnson 1 »

9015Bravo

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 10:58:09 AM »
Thanks Doug

Ya, my inquiry was based on the fact that these parts are basically the only aftermarket parts I've been able to find . Thus begging the question. "Are these parts useful and worth it"

I'm thankful for the owner manufactured parts regulations as I work in machine building and fabrication so within arms length is any type of metal manufacturing I can imagine.

Now if there was only solid works drawings for every helio part, wed really be in business

Happy Sunday yall

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
Drawings? My understanding is that 3D scanner printers are available for around 500 bucks, but I've heard that you can take smaller parts like we're looking at here to a print shop and have them scanned and turned into prints for an affordable cost.

While I don't have many of the individual component drawings, I do have the general construction blueprints.

I've been told they are well worth the effort to turn them into hard copy.

I did put PDF copies in the adobe cloud and I do have the links so you can download them.

Send me an email if you want to download a copy.

Kevin Dunn

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
I am not sure about pricing from Airforms but McFarlane offers an FBO discount which gets the price down to $4671.57 each. For those of us who don't have a machine shop and the requisite skill to make them, paying a good shop to do the work is the option. I have no idea how much that might cost. Might be an easier path, if you need a set, to just buy them.

If you do need a set, at least you can be satisfied with the fact that, barring an accident, the new ones will not need to be replaced again in your lifetime!

Need to go check mine.....

Kevin

Doug Johnson 1

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:20 AM »
Here is something you may find interesting. I received an e-bay alert about a Helio part I checked it out and discovered 51 other Helio parts.

I believe these prices are out of line and only for the desperate or people with money that are tired of looking, but then again i haven't shopped for parts for 20 yrs and prices have about tripled.

Click on link below to take you to the parts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=notrodascs&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=helio&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:02:48 AM by Doug Johnson 1 »