General Category > FlyHelio Website

Bonding adhesive for door skin

(1/3) > >>

rmartell:
Can anyone suggest the product that is used for bonding the door skin to the fiberglass door panel? I suspect that it would have to be a product that has a slow curing properties.

jmetzler:
They're normally riveted, not bonded. If you bond it, make sure you have the fit right because you won't change it when the glue hardens! Jim

Doug Johnson:
I used aircraft strutural adhesive by 3M called Scotch weld on a cessna 172 project (but not my Helio) I asked what Boeing used on their jets. I fitted everything using clecos with holes for flush rivets on corners and curves instead of trying to clamp things together I had a rivet about every 4 to 6 inches. I put the glue on then rivited everything together. That project was aluminum to aluminum. Boeing uses it to glue their floors in with it. On another project where I was gluing fabric to fiberglas it kept coming apart using contact cement. Can't remember what kind it was. So I used a  contact cement glue the Caterpillar co. makes called "Attach Glue" I think they glue windshields in with it. And I glued in my door seals on the Helio with 3M door seal adhesive from the automotive store.

Personally I really think you could put all the skins on a Helio at least around the cage with 3M Scotch weld and eliminate all the rivet lines. I would still use flush rivets at the corners.

I just remembered I think that was the same glue I used to attach the Sportsman Stol leading edge to my 172.

Gordon Cragg:
Robert;
As Jim M. has posted the normal procedure is to rivet the royalite or fiberglass to the aluminum structure.
The issue is that once bonded, it is what it is.
I made a fiberglass mold for the doors, however, I used the doors off a wrecked H-800 for my H-295. It took Jim a number of hours to get the doors to fit properly.
Gordon Cragg
713-502-7274

Doug Johnson:
You can can use heat to take aluminum bonded to aluminum apart I used a heat gun designed to weld plastic, a propane torch would probably work too, you have to work quickly to keep from warping things, probably wouldn't work on fiberglas to aluminum

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version